Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2001 maxima: starts hard..much gas..Small smell of gas in air box

2001 maxima starts hard..sounds like it is getting to much gas. Have to pump to get started. Small smell of gas in air box. Car has about 120000 on it. Fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump? Had ebough gas build up in air box that it popped and broke some of air box.
Thank you!!!!!!
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, are you able to get the engine to rev above 3000 rpms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, starts, just sounds like way to much gas flowing..almost like a floding out and smell of gas
I understand, So I am assuming that you can get the engine to race above 3000 rpms then?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
easily..once started it actually runs well, takes quite a bit to start and always have to pump to start
Ok, does it matter if the engine is up to operating temp or not?
start better hot or cold?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
usually better when cold, but not much
Ok, I have a couple ideas.
I think I would start by cleaning the IAC. This controls the flow of air when you first start the engine and when the engine is idling.
It is located on the throttle body. Sometimes it gets gummed up with carbon, when that happens the pintal inside can't move and adjust properly. This can be cleaned and reinstalled. Use carb cleaner to clean it up and then reinstall it and see if there is improvement. Here is a diagram of it's location.
If this doesn't improve the situation, try unplugging the mass air flow sensor and see if the car starts right up. If it does and idles smooth, then the mass air flow is the likely problem. This will turn the check engine light on when you unplug it, so don't be alarmed.
Give this stuff a try and let me know!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you have diagram of where mass air flow sensor is?
Ye, it is located on the duct work to the throttle body from the air filter.