Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

how to bleed cooling system on a 1996 nissan quest

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Greetings Customer and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
The quest can be tricky, there is a bleeder up on top of the plentum. You remove it and then fill the cooling system until coolant comes out of the hole.Then put the bolt back in and top off the coolant.This isn't the best picture, but it was the only one I could find. It sits back under the cowl next to the throttle cables.
Hope this helps!
graphic
View Full Image
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok... i found it...so i remove it till coolant flows through there right?? if the veichle keeps overheating after that and the pump seems to be im good conditions what other steps can i take?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You remove it and then add coolant with the vehicle off,until it flows out, then put it back in and finish filling the radiator.
I would suspect a possible thermostat issue if it continues to overheat.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok...once the veichle warms up and if the thermostat opens and if there is no air present in the system both the top and bottom radiatior hoses should be about the same temperature right?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, they will be close,
this is because the thermostat stays closed until the coolant gets hot, then it opens and the transfer of cooler coolant from the radiator goes into the engine and the hot stuff goes out to the radiator.
Once things are up to temp, it won't be a huge difference like you are probably getting right now.
These are a bear to bleed out. I would use the bleed screw, then drive it, if it runs hot again, let it cool and repeat the procedure again.Might take a couple of attemps to get all of the air out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh ok...im letting it cool down right now...let me try it and see if it works thanks for your help

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome! Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i opened the screw at the top of the plenum... i poured coolant into the system, the radiator filled up and nothing came out of the opening... what does that mean?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it completely off..and nothing is flowing through there...could it be that the thermostat is stuck in the closed position?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so i close the previous screw and open up the other one and squeeze upper hose right? or do i leave the previous screw open?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
leave the previous open. It is the highest point on the cooling system, all the air needs to escape up there. Once it does, then the system is full.
Sorry! I guess I should have mentioned that!