Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2000 nissan maxima: all brake lights wont work plus cannt shift

Customer Question

2000 nissan maxima
all brake lights won't work plus cann't shift out of "parking" position
Category: Nissan
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. When the brake light switch is released (when brake pedal is pushed to the floor) what ohm reading are you getting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could you tell me how to check the ohm reading when switch is connected with harness?

Already Tried:
disconnect wire from brake light switch, check from connector:+ to ground 14v dc,- to ground 0v dc, between +/- is 1280ohm, -/+ is open ; check brake light switch(it is been removed from bracket) :when pushed in, closed (0 ohm).when released ,opened.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
You need to check the switch with the wires disconnected for ohms. Are you saying the switch is open (no reading) when released (when the brake pedal would be pushed)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the switch in my hand , when i push the button in by my finger , get reading :0 ohm ,when released , read open infinity

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Then the switch needs replaced. There should be continuity in the switch when it is released as this would be when the pedal is pushed.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
You should have just two wires going to the switch. Connect these two with a jumper wire and see if the brake lights come on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when this bad switch been using in my car, then brake light shoud always turned on because switch is closed (ohm = 0 ), correct? how it's worked ?

if i change this switch, it will fix the other problem (shift locked in parking position) at same time?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Take and jump the two wires going to the switch and tell me if the brake lights light up when doing this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did what you'v say but noting changed. just two tail lights on and all three brake lights still off
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
With the wire in place can you shift it out of park with the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I can't. I also can't hear the clicking sound like it normally does.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
You have voltage to the one wire at the switch correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes.

check from connector: + to ground 14v dc,- to ground 0v dc,

between +/- is 1280ohm, -/+ is open with key at off position;

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
With voltage at the switch and jumping the wires and the brake lights not working then there has to be a break in a the wire between the switch and the rear lights as nothing else in the system. Need to check at the rear lights to see if getting power to them with the switch jumped. If no power then the wire between the switch and the lights is bad. If power then the ground to the light is bad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
due to three lights problem and shift still locked, is there an connection?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Yes if you fix the lights it most likely will fix the shifting problem as the brake pedal needs to be applied to get the shifter out of park so the problems are related
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you think is possible that multi- open circuit at two different places?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Unlikely........but possible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

looks like there is a diode in this circuit .

do you know is there a splice point for the wires distribute to brake lights and shift- lock release relay ?

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Not sure how they splice together. I will see if anyone else here on the site knows as I'm leaving for the day and don't want you to have to wait to get help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i'm sorry , the diode should in my meter. forget about that.

thanks for your help !

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
No worries.......
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>are you still there?</p><p> </p><p>could you tell me how those two problem are exactly related and how the shift lock can be released? then we can start from there</p><p> </p><p> </p>
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

It sounds more like a shift lock release solenoid at the shifter is your problem. You should hear a clicking at the shifter when the brake pedal is applied.

This solenoid is not sold separately, it comes with the shifter assembly. If you would like to verify this click HERE to download the wiring diagram for the shift lock release.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Jay

thank you

could you reciew the conversation between Mr Brownjeff and me.

there are two problems, brake lights and shift lock.

i don't know which is the primary issue and how they works together. could you explain that ?

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Actually that wiring diagram has the brake switch in it so you can check that also. If you look at the wiring diagram, the brake switch is what gives the shift lock solenoid it's signal to release when the brake switch is depressed. So what you want to check if you have no brake lights is power to the brake switch and power coming out of it. If you have no power to the switch, then you need to check fuses. If you don't have power coming out of the switch, then you have a bad switch.

I am sorry, I did not see in your conversation about the brake lights not working. I just saw that you couldn't release the shifter and that you ohm checked the switch and it seems to be fine. That is why I am now asking you to check voltage in and out of the switch. release and pressed.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this. I need to step out and will be back online around 7 pm EST to continue to assist you if you need it.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have two questions make me confuse here:

1. how brake light switch worked?

switch is released (when brake pedal is pushed to the floor) that power will go through. or the other way around?

2. if just the shift lock solenoid has problem and brake light switch is working properly , why brake lights didn't work?

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
The brake lights get there signal from the brake switch. Here is the wiring diagram for the brake lights. Click HERE to download it.

As you can see the same color wires are used to the shift lock solenoid. The way it works is power is sitting at the brake switch. When the pedal is pressed, current then flows through the switch, to the shift lock solenoid ( that clicks ) and also to the brake lights in the back of the car, through the lamps lighting then up and then to ground.

Let me know if you have more questions, I will have no problem assist you further if you need it.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks

When the pedal is pressed, the button of the brake switch is also pressed down (not released). then power can go through, correct ?

now, i need to know where is splice point for the wires distribute to brake lights and shift- lock release relay . so i can check the output coming from brake light switch

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
yes, when the switch is pressed, the power then goes through it. Just check for power with the pedal pressed on the red wire with the green stripe. Make sure you are checking the brake switch, not the cruise control switch. They look the same and they are both down by the brake pedal.

You looking for the brake switch connector to have a Red wire with a yellow stripe and a Red wire with a green stripe.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

looks like i check the wrong switch (orange one), it should be black one ,correct?

now the black one has no power on either wire , any problem on that ?

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
I don't know the color switch, but if you have no power, check fuses with a test light. Also check the fuses by the battery.

It sounds like a fuse issue most likely.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all fuses are good, both end of the fuse have voltage. looks like open circuit somewhere between fuse and switch, any spilce might loose under the deshboard?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Then you need to check the harness for a broken wire or a bad connection between M15 and E81. I will give you it's location. Give me a min to get you that.

Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
That is the only connection between the fuse to the brake switch. So I would ohm check from the fuse to that connector so you know which way the connection issue is or broken wire so you can properly isolate your problem. Just use the wiring diagrams I suppied to assist you on your check.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

now i know what m15 looks like, but where is e81 ?

are they accessable without open the deshboard?

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
E81 is the other connector that plugs into M15. So M15 connector plugs into E81. It's the big SMJ connector down on the left side of the dash. I think you need to pop off the kick panel, but it's around that area.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
kick panel is just infront of you knee when you driving, am i right ?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Look at the image of the connector location. If your sitting in the drivers seat, it would be by your left foot. That trim panel down there is called the kick panel, cause it seems they always get kicked and scuffed.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how many wires at m15?

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
It's a SMJ which is a Super Multi Junction connector so it's going to have allot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
then which wire i am looking for at m15
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there any mark for ID e15
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry , i mean m15
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
graphicNo, it's going to be a huge connector, it is locked together by a 10 mm bolt if I remember right.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is huge!

which wire i am looking for ?

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
8E, I gave you the brake lamp wiring diagram. All this info is in that also.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
8e and 5e right
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you Jay.

i am going to check it tomorrow.

have a good night!

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome and have a good night also.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Jay

I didn't check the wires yet because I've had a business trip, I'll back two weeks later. thanks for your help.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jays

I didn't press "accept answer" just because I'm still out there for my business trip, and I might have further question to ask regarding the problem. could you tell me if i press "accept answer" , can i ask more question later?

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Yes, if you clicked the accept button and had further questions, I can still help. As long as it's the same problem. If you came back with a whole new question, then you would have to start a new question.

Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer