Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

titan: fuel injector..sputter..So I pour gas line antifreeze..awhile

I think I am having a fuel injector problem with me titan (2005), about 100 km's on it and I live in Canada when the truck is outside on a windy day with temps below 30 degrees celsius the truck will sputter and not be able to get over 2000 rpm. Obviously I am pluggin the truck in and letting it warm up appropriately. So I pour gas line antifreeze in it and let it run for awhile and then turn it off then start it back up and there are no problems. This has been done twice now on two separate occasions. Both times it worked. I have put injector cleaner in the the tank already once but hasn't made a difference. When I drove it in the summer it would sputter slightly but would continue to run normally. Any ideas? should I get the injectors flushed professionally, how do I change the filter? If that is the case? Please help

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

Customer:

no

Jay :

There is two things that come to my mind based on your description

Jay :

First is the Ecm relay. There is a recall on this. This can cause hard or no start issues as well as some running conditions. I would first contact your local dealer with your vin number and see if this recall is open on your truck. If open, then they will perform this recall for you at no charge.

Jay :

The second would be the MAF sensor.

Jay :

90% of the time the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor heated element which meters the air so the computer can add the proper fuel mixture has fallen out of spec. Not enough to cause a code for it, but enough to cause the Air and fuel Mixture to be so off it can cause Stalling, poor acceleration, won't rev over a certain Rpm, poor fuel economy and running issues. I would have the Air and Fuel mixture readings checked to verify. Checking the voltage will not show the fault, the air and fuel mixture will. If found to be bad, do not replace with a After Market one. After market MAF sensors never seem to work properly. There heated element doesn't work right which can cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you chasing you tail trying to figure out what is wrong. So the only way to correct this issue if you do have a bad MAF sensor is to replace it with a OEM.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

thanks I appreciate the help makes sense