Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

nissan altima altima power steering problems

altima power steering problems
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! Is it stiff, then lose then stiff then loose when turning the wheel?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, more stiff than loose but it seems like there's almost an air bubble or something in there. No leaks of the fluid and I don't hear any noises or whining.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, what normally happens with these is the steering shaft that connects the steering wheel to the rack binds up.
There is a small U joint in the shaft and it rusts up and is no longer flexible.
The pump is working like it should, and the rack will to, but the u joint is binding causing the stiffness.
It will act like on and off and on and off as the joint tries to turn. It is likely the culprit, I have seen a ton of these.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So how much $ would a new U joint cost me if that is the culprit? I'm assuming that if that is the problem I would need to have that piece replaced. I'm getting new tires in a week, can I wait that long to have it replaced?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
You can drive it,
the part is about $150, the shaft has to be replaced, plus about 2 hours labor and a wheel alignment.
I think the part installed is going to run about $350 plus the alignment.