Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2002 nissan sentra: idle air control..relearn..The idle control motor

Customer Question

I replace the idle air control motor,did not do the idle relearn procedure, now the car stalls and sometimes dies 2002 nissan sentra,should I replace the idle control motor again? The idle control motor was replace  8 months ago,on occasions the idle goes up then goes down and the car dies.Should I take the car to the dealer to get a diagnosis?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Did you try cleaning the throttle chamber and performing a idle relearn?

Customer:

yes I clean the throttle but I don't known how to do the relearn.

Jay :

Lets try the relearn. Here is how it's done.

Full Size Image

Jay :

If you haven't performed the idle relearn after replacing the idle air control, then the car will stall. The idle relearn needs to be done so the computer can control base idle.

Customer:

will the relearn solve this problem even thou the idle control motor was replace 8 months ago?thanks for the relearn prosedure.

Jay :

it may, but that needs to be done when the throttle chamber has been cleaned and when the iac has been replaced

Jay :

But you have to start there.

Customer:

thanks!

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com.. Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car still stall at the stops,I clean the throtle ,did the relearn procedure ,Should I replace the idle control motor? I also replace the PVC valve.
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Still don't have a Service Engine Soon light on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No service engine light on,the idle sometimes drops to 500rpm then dies(sometimes) I'm thinking that the idle control motor is a cheap kind,what should I check ?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
The idle control is done by the Electric Throttle chamber. If the idle relearn was done properly and you still find that it stalls when coming to a stop, then you could have bad throttle chamber. I would have this double checked to verify.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell what is a bad throttle body?
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
The throttle chamber is electronically controlled by the Ecm. That is why a Idle Relearn is important. So the computer can control the base idle. The internals of the throttle chamber are not recommended to be replaced, but since reman throttle chambers are available and have become much cheaper it's recommended to replace the whole throttle chamber.

As for what goes bad, either the motor inside or the communication part of the throttle chamber

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jay the idle control motor that was replace is a federal emission,Auto zone sells a California emission,Is there a defference since Im still having problems with the idle.
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Don't get the parts after markets, they give you nothing but problems. I would go to the dealer and just give them the vin number and get the correct throttle chamber to help resolve your issue.

Thanks Jay!