jpaug01
jpaug01, Nissan Technician
Experience:  15 years nissan,infiniti exp nissan and infiniti master tech,GTR certified ase master L1 certified
6212151

2002 sentra: It hesitates to crank..diagnostic..catalytic converter

I have a 2002 sentra with its engine light on. It hesitates to crank, especially when the vehicle is cold or has been sitting for over 5 hours. I had it check with a diagnostic device and it said possible faild bank 2 catalytic converter, ignition system fault, fuel fault, or large vacuum leak. I have had a complete tune up in the past 30 days and replaced its pcv valve, thermostat, number 3 coil, its ECT and replaced the radiator 6 months ago. What could be the problem? -

jpaug01 :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can help how many miles on the car?

Customer:

179,997.

jpaug01 :

Ok when you say hesitate to crank do you meanwhen you turn the key it doesnt start to crank immediatly or that it cranks for an extended period of time before it stars?

Customer:

It doesn't start immediately.

jpaug01 :

ok i want to look a couplke things up do you have a few minutes while i do that?

Customer:

yes

jpaug01 :

Thank you

jpaug01 :

Ok there is a technical bulliten to install a kit on the fuel pump, what happens is when sitting the ck valve on the fuel leaks and allows the fuel pressure to bleed off into the fuel tank when ther is no pressure waitng at the injectors it take some extra cranking to get the fuel tback to the injectors and fire car I have seen this many many times what codes were stored when you cked?

Customer:

I am not sure which codes you are referring to.

jpaug01 :

The one for the cat converter wa there any thing else show up then like a crank or cam sensor

Customer:

Yes. Possible oxygen sensor(OE Type) downstream sensor, left side/4wire

Customer:

or the oxygen sensor OE Type downstream sensor on the right side

jpaug01 :

Ok none of those will prevent starting My recommendation is to instal fuel pump repair kit #22670-ZG80C and replce the fuel tank packing seal and your problem will be fixed If this has helped you please click accept so i recieve credit for this chat Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX anything else i canassist you with?

Customer:

Yes. Where can I purchase or order this kit? Around how much would it cost? Would a fuel system cleaning solve this problem or use this kit. I notice that when this issue started that my AC stopped getting cold. I am out of freon in it now.

Customer:

Will this be a one day or half day job to repair?

Customer:

Should let engine light go out when this is repair?

jpaug01 :

the kit you have to buy at your nissan dealer or ck niisan parts wholesalers online afuel cleaning wont stop this problem but it is good maintence. the a/c issue is something totally unrelated and would have to inspected for leaks the job usaully only takes about an hour and half Anything else i can answer?

Customer:

I was wondering about the price but i will check on line

jpaug01 :

Im not sure what he cost is but I will have to guess $100

Customer:

Thanks