normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a Nissan trained technician and a foreign car specialist
22294968

95 Nissan sentra: 1.6L..timing how do I line up all the timing marks

I have a 95 Nissan sentra with a 1.6L engine.
When setting the timing how do I line up all the timing marks?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 3 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

Are you trying to set the ignition timing or the timing chain timing?

Customer:

timing chain

normanahoyt :

Ok, let me get the info on that for you

normanahoyt :

On these there is an inner timing chain and an outer timing chain.

normanahoyt :

The inner has to be set up first and then the outer

normanahoyt :

Nissan's method involves links on the chain that are a different color / plating that line up with marks on the sprockets.

Customer:

the outer chain jumped is there a way i can just set that?

normanahoyt :

Do you know why it jumped?

Customer:

not sure but i would guess the tensioner is bad

normanahoyt :

Look down in at the lower sprocket and you will find your answer...the teeth are practically ground oof

normanahoyt :

correction "off"

Customer:

the sprocket on the crank or the idler in the middle?

normanahoyt :

The idler in the middle

Customer:

so i should replace that sprocket?

normanahoyt :

There is a weakness in that sprocket and you will need to replace it.

normanahoyt :

h

normanahoyt :

There is one other situation that you need to be aware of

normanahoyt :

There is a very great likelihood of the engine now having bent valves.

normanahoyt :

Have you removed the valve cover and inspected for bent valves?

Customer:

i have the cover of do i have to remove the head to inspect the valves?

normanahoyt :

No, you can often see one or more valves sitting lower than the others

normanahoyt :

If you can't visually tell then you can do a valve clearence check and that should tell you the story

normanahoyt :

In a shop we typically do a cylinder leak down test but that requires a special tool

Customer:

they all apear to be the same hieght

normanahoyt :

Did it jump time while you were driving it?

Customer:

yes

normanahoyt :

I would have a hard time believing that it didn't bend valves

normanahoyt :

Do you happen to have feeler gauges?

Customer:

yes

normanahoyt :

Ok, the way you check the clearence is with the lobe up on each valve and a go/no go method. In other words you put the one feeler gauge in and it should go then you take the other thicker one and it shouldn't go then you have identified if it is within specs.

Customer:

what should the clarance be?

normanahoyt :

The exhaust valve specs are: .013 and .016 so if you have an exhaust valve with the cam lobe up you get a .013 and it should go then you take a .016 and it should not go.

normanahoyt :

The intake is the same concept but with a .010 and a .013

Customer:

ok i'll check that

normanahoyt :

I suspect you will find some that have quite a bit larger clearence than they should in which case the valve is bent.

Customer:

to retime it i should line up marked links on the chain with the marks on the sprokets?

normanahoyt :

Yes, the proper way to time this engine starts with the lower chain and times it to the intermediate sprocket by means of the marked links and some dots on the sprockets. then you line up the upper chain in the same fashion. As I said earlier the typical reason for them to jump time is that the intermediate sprocket goes bad and the teeth practically strip off of it. The proper repair involves a complete timing chain kit.

Customer:

yeah but this is about a $500 car and that kit cost about $300

normanahoyt :

You could see if you can get the intermediate sprocket by itself, however, your first concern is whether the valves bent or not.

normanahoyt :

Check this out:

Customer:

i have the cams out right now do you know the torque spec for putting them back in?

normanahoyt :

Let me get that for you

normanahoyt :

It is a several step process:

normanahoyt :

1: Tighten all to 18 INCH LBS. PLEASE NOTE THAT IT IS IN INCH POUNDS AND NOT FOOT POUNDS. If you don't have an inch lb. torque wrench this is 12 times less in inch pounds.

normanahoyt :

2: Tighten all to 53 inch lbs.

normanahoyt :

3: Tighten #15 (the one that is in line with the spark plug holes) to 56-74 inch lbs. and the remainder to 80-105 inch lbs.

normanahoyt :

There is your torque procedure.

normanahoyt :

Thanks for your question.

normanahoyt :

Please use the accept button to complete the process and then feel free to come back to the same thread if you need further assistance with this matter.

Customer:

ok thanks for the info and the e-bay link

normanahoyt, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I am a Nissan trained technician and a foreign car specialist