Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2000 Nissan maxima: the check engine light flashing..inspection

I have a 2000 Nissan maxima with 160k with the check engine light flashing. I have had so much work done to this car for the check engine light so it would pass emissions inspection. All the work was done by a Nissan dealership. The car is my son's car so I don't have the receipts with me right now. My question is - if the check engine light flashes and the car is running rough even when idle....could it be the catalytic converters? Is it safe to drive at all.
GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there! The flashing check engine light normally is caused by an engine misfire. This would be a bad coil or spark plug normally.
If the light is flashing, it is possible there is damage being done to the converters.
Normally the converter won't cause the light to flash, I would not suggest driving it with the light flashing, it could damage the converter and lead to more money.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Car Guy - you helped me back in Jan 2010 - at that time the check engine light was on and I provided you the codes and you said it could be the MAF and ballparked around 700. Well you were right and it cost us $670 by a certified Nissan tech. Could any of this be related to MAF - I have not check for any codes - would a missfire spit out a code?

Thanks again!

The misfire will spit out a code. The maf won't make it flash, I am sure you have a misfire and if you have a code reader, we can likely diagnose it pretty quickly.