normanahoyt
normanahoyt, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a Nissan trained technician and a foreign car specialist

99 NISSAN FRONTIER: 2ND GEAR..V6..4WD...HAVE DONE A FLUID AND FILTER

MY 99 NISSAN FRONTIER IS SHIFTING HARD INTO 2ND GEAR (AUTO) 99,000 MILES. V6 4WD. HAVE DONE A FLUID AND FILTER CHANGE. SOMEBODY TOLD ME IT MIGHT BE THE DROPPING RESISTOR. WHERE IS THIS LOCATED.THANKS
Category: Nissan
Expert:  normanahoyt replied 3 years ago.

normanahoyt :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to assist you

normanahoyt :

Is there any chance you can have the codes pulled from the computer?

normanahoyt :

Autozones typically will do this for free

normanahoyt :

Codes will make it much simpler to truly diagnose the problem. I can speculate a little and the dropping resistor is not one of the possibilities but if you can get the codes for me I can give you a real answer

Customer:

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON. AUTO ZONE SAYS THEY WOULD NOT GET ANY CODES.

normanahoyt :

You must be in California?

Customer:

NOPE. CENTRAL OHIO

normanahoyt :

Really, I thought they pulled codes here in the midwest...they do here in Warsaw Indiana.

Customer:

He says not. Could be a newbie.

normanahoyt :

One more question on your vehicle before I construct an answer: Does it rev up higher during the 1-2 shift and then shift in harshly or does it shift low and harsh?

Customer:

Seems like its reving ok then a quick shift only in 1st to 2nd. Ok after. Noticed a little vibration in 1st also. Bought this used in dec.

normanahoyt :

A little shudder while accelerating in 1st and then a harsh engagement of second or a "quick" engagement of 2nd. By quick you mean that it is abrupt or that it happens sooner in the rpm range than you would expect?

Customer:

Abrupt I guess. Guys used to put shift kits in there cars when i was younger. seems like that.

normanahoyt :

Did you change the fluid or have it done"

Customer:

Had it done by a mechanic. He showed me the fluid and the filter and nothing looked abnormal. Magnet looked like it was clean

normanahoyt :

Do you know what fluid he put in it? and also...did you have symptoms prior to the fluid exchange?

Customer:

He used recomended and yes I told him about symtoms but did'nt want to get to involved at the time.

normanahoyt :

Ok, so we should have a full synthetic transmission fluid (Nissan Matic D) and we had symptoms prior to fluid exchange.

Customer:

Yes. and yes. I chated online with a tech last month and he suggested drop resistor or valve body issues but I never got a chance to follow up with him about location of resistor

normanahoyt :

Unfortunately the answer is not very good. The harsh engagement in 2nd is due to the fact that it is slipping in 1st. What I would recommend at this time is to install Lucas transmission additive for synthetic fluid. This is available at your local Napa store. To install this fluid I recommend you fill your sink with the hottest water you have and place the bottle of additive in it for about 30 minutes prior to attempting ot put it in the trans. as this fluid is incredibly thick. After you put this additive in and run it 15-20 miles you should have some improvement and you may get a lot of life out of your first gear yet. I'll give you the location of dropping resistors in a second. I can't see them playing into this situation. One more quesion. Does your overdrive light every flash?

Customer:

No. It doesnt seem like it is slipping. I had that in an S-10. Mech. put additive in when he did fluid change.

normanahoyt :

Ok, the dropping resistor is in the right front corner of the engine compartment near the battery and the two wires going to it are a Brown/Yellow and a Gray/Red. This resistor affects the line pressure solenoid and can cause harsh engagement, however, the harsh engagement should be in every gear and there should be no shudder. I will get you the test in a second.

normanahoyt :

The resistor bolts to the inner fender with two bolts and is enclosed in a metal case. If you just unhook it you can measure resistance across it. The specs are: 11.2-12.8 ohms.

normanahoyt :

Let me know what you find.

Customer:

Thanks. If it does seem bad where can I find one. Looked all over the web and found nothing.

normanahoyt :

Because this is not a high volume sales part you are reduced to the dealership or a salvage yard.

Customer:

I will pull my truck in garage at work tomorrow and let you know whats up. Also after driving it tonight it does it even at very low speed without accelerating. Also shudder/vibration seems like it doesnt happen until 2nd gear then smooths out like its a u joint or loose mount ? Thanks, Doug

Customer:

One other thing. When I spoke with the other tech he said the resistor could be corroded was his words.Sorry about the confussion. I also tried Advanced Auto and they hooked up a reader and found no codes.

normanahoyt :

Yes, I have had the corroded dropping resistor problem, what I can't understand is how that would only affect the 1-2 shift...the shudder you say now is in 2nd and that would be the gear that typically has slip first so perhaps we just not communicating clearly on the slip/shudder concern.

Customer:

Going to look at the resistor tonight. Hopefully I didnt get hold of a money trap. Put a trans. in my last truck. Ouch! Thanks for your help. I will get back with you so you get your money.

Customer:

Just checked resistor and got 12.1 across it. Looks ok. Unfortunately it looks like its not going to be an easy fix. If I add this treatment how much do I add since fluid was changed and its full? Also,would you recomend taking it to a trans shop now or do I have some life left in it?

normanahoyt :

I would add the treatment, it is a fairly large bottle but you really need to add it all. Just check your fluid level and if it is not overfull right now then just add the whole bottle that much over the line will not cause any problems and in fact on some transmissions we overfill by that much to compensate for some problems. I really think you will notice a difference and be able to get quite a bit of use out of the transmission prior to rebuilding it.

Customer:

Thanks for all your help.

normanahoyt, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I am a Nissan trained technician and a foreign car specialist