Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

How do I reset the anti theft system on my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

The alarm is going off?

Customer :

No

Customer :

Vehicle started just fine then suddenly would not. Replaced the clutch switch and starter, no luck

Jay :

What makes you think you have a alarm problem if the alarm is not going off

Jay :

It doesn't even turn over?

Customer :

No, just relays clicking in start position. Battery is fine and the vehicle will push start just fine

Jay :

Is it fast clicking?

Customer :

No clicking in run position (key), clicks when placed in start position

Jay :

right, when you put turn the key to the crank position, you get fast clicking correct?

Customer :

Just clicks one time when you first place it in crank position then nothing else

Jay :

Just one click,

Jay :

That could be a sign of bad starter

Jay :

Try this and see what happens

Jay :

See if you can get someone to help you.

Customer :

ok

Jay :

Have someone turn the key and hold it in the crank position, while you or the person helping taps the starter with a hammer.

Jay :

Don't whack it, just tap at it

Jay :

If the starter engages, then you know you need a starter.

Customer :

Just put a brand new starter in about two hours ago

Jay :

I was not aware of that

Jay :

do you have a volt meter?

Customer :

started tracing electrical. have no power at 7.5 amp fuse in drivers compartment labled starter. no voltage at switch for cluch

Customer :

new clutch switch also

Jay :

you only get power at that fuse when the key is in the crank position

Jay :

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer :

yes

Jay :

The gray connector at the starter.

Customer :

yes

Jay :

Unplug it, and on the harness side, put your red lead, and just put the black lead to ground.

Customer :

ok

Jay :

Then turn the key and hold it in the crank position

Jay :

and see how many volts you have

Jay :

and let me know

Customer :

give me a few minutes

Jay :

you got it

Customer :

0 voltage

Jay :

ok

Jay :

Did you check the inhibitor relay?

Customer :

not sure what or where that is

Jay :

1 sec

Jay :

here is where it's located

Jay :

Can you read a wiring diagram?

Customer :

a little history....the day that this happened we were sitting in a parking lot waiting on my son, in the mean time my daughter was sitting on the back bumper and I pressed in the clutch to roll back a little. She pushed the vehicle forward then I started it up reverse it. We did this two more times, however on the third time of starting the vehicle back up it just clicked. I assumed the clutch safety switch went out and replaced it, then the starter and now where we are at. Figured I may have engaged the anti theft somehow. Yes I can read it

Jay :

I have no idea why that happened, but that is not the anti theft system

Jay :

Hang on, let me get you the diagram. 1 sec

Customer :

I have the diagram on location and can read it fine now what

Jay :

Jump pins 3 and 5 on the inhibitor relay and see if the truck starts. Click here to download the wiring diagram

Customer :

one sec

Jay :

k

Customer :

thats it

Customer :

problem solved, will buy a new relay this afternoon

Jay :

Well we just by passed it as a check

Customer :

so is this not the problem

Jay :

If you look at the wiring diagram you need to see if pin number one has continuity to ground when the clutch petal is pressed

Customer :

voltage or ohm

Jay :

It could be, but if you can verify you have power at pin 2 and good ground at pin 1 when the clutch pedal is pressed, then yes the relay is no good

Customer :

will check it no

Customer :

now

Jay :

Voltage at pin 2, and ohms to ground on pin 1 with the clutch pedal pressed

Jay :

ok

Customer :

power at pin 2 and cant get a reading at all for ground on pin 1

Jay :

pin 1 is the ground

Jay :

for that relay

Jay :

The goes through the clutch switch

Jay :

I understand it's new, but maybe it's not adjusted right or something

Customer :

checked voltage pin 1 to pin 2, no reading. Checked voltage pin 2 to batt ground, 12.67

Jay :

yeah you should have power at pin 2

Customer :

verified that clutch is engaging switch completely when depressed

Jay :

now you just need to figure out pin 1's problem to ground and that should resolve your problem

Jay :

Did you download the wiring diagram to see

Jay :

what I am saying

Jay :

?

Customer :

yep i got it, will track it down

Jay :

You got it! At least we have the problem narrowed down

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer :

Thank you Jay, helped me alot. Positive feedback on the way

Jay :

your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer