Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2005 Nissan Altima: trouble starting..gas pedal..Runs fine..restarting

Having trouble starting 2005 Nissan Altima in the mornngs. Will start after holding down gas pedal--several attempts. Runs fine afterwards and reemainder of the day no problems restarting
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there! IS the check engine light coming on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes check engine light is coming on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Do you happen to know what code is being stored in the computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No how do I find out
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Well, most parts stores will read the code for you at no charge. If you get it and post it I can give you better advise.
Since this is only happening on first start up, I suspect you may find the code is for multiple misfires.
These have been having head gasket issues and usually when they sit overnight, on first start there is coolant in the cylinder. This causes the car to not want to stay running at first because the coolant doesn't want to burn.Then once it clears up, the car will be fine for the rest of the day.
Would really like the code if you can get it. This might help, or at least maybe be something less bad then the head gasket.
Looking for a code like P0335 for example.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Diagnostic code is P0340
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Actually,that is very good news. You should be able to replace the cam sensor to resolve the problem. HERE is a diagram of it's location on the car.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks--previous invoice does show cam sensor was replaced (got code from invoice) so maybe the problem is the head gasket. Will take car to have diagnostic test and let you know what codes come up

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, if they are looking for the head gasket leak, have them pressure test the ccooling system for about one hour. Then pull the plugs and look on top of the pistons for coolant.
This is the best method I have found so far to do this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks