Roy
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Master technician
8127795

how do i reset my computer on a 2002 nissan xterra

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 3 years ago.

ricardo hohl :

hi, welcome to J.A there are two ways to reset the ECU one is with a scanner looking up ecw options and the other is by disconnecting the negative side of the battery for 1 minute and reinstalling the negative back on , make sure all accessories are turn of before attempting a reset reboot procidure

Customer :

Do you think that this will resolve the mileage problem that i have described?

ricardo hohl :

yes this will reset all factory values back to specs ,if everything is good

Customer :

Orginaly it said that the person that was going to answer this was a lead tech at a Nissan Dealer . What happened to that person?

ricardo hohl :

sorry we are master certify and lead techs in all fields, not necessarily working at a dealer but on line as a technical assistance experts we also provide information and help to the dealers.

Customer :

The reason I did not accept the answer is because when I initialy sent the information in with my situation I had listed everything that we had serviced recently , and that after our service our mileage dropped from 18 to 14 . I also asked about resetting the timing and what is the best procedure for the computer to re-learn . After that a 20 year lead tech at a Nissan Dealer said he would be answering my questions and then your name appeared .

ricardo hohl :

OK you don,t have to s]accept if you feel more confortable talking to a

ricardo hohl :

another expert that will be fine with me, you are a valuable customer and making you feel comfortable is our goal if you will like me to opt out i can do that , no offence taking

Customer :

Thanks Ricardo.

ricardo hohl :

you are welcome., i am going to opt out just wait another expert will take the question sorry for the misunderstanding and good night. .

Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.

HI!

There is a special step to set your timing, you do not need to unhook your battery , try these steps to set timing and idle for base settings . Thanks let me know if you have

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
any more questions, ROY!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Roy . Thanks . I do not have a timing light or a computer to read the codes . Do you think i should reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and if yes . Is there a proper way to have the ECU relearn
Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.

HI!

I would make the base settings first with timing light with throttle switch disconnected , and set base idle then you can clear ECM by removing battery overnight , what I do is use a scan tool and reset it then also check fuel trim to see if you could have a fuel mixture problem, that can cause you mileage problem a scan tool is the best way to find a problem . you could have a weak 02 sensor or bad air flow meter, they should also be inspected , you can try your battery first and see if that will help . I hope this helps Thanks ROY!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would my mileage be inconsistent with a weak O2 sensor?

Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.
yes a bad 02 sensor can cause poor mileage
Roy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Nissan Master technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Roy . Thanks for your help

Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.
your welcome and good luck, ROY!