Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified master tech and instructor
14457476

Nissan/Datsun Frontier XE bad squealing noise especially when

Customer Question

bad squealing noise especially when it is wet out, noise stops around 55-60mph
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 3 years ago.

ricardo hohl :

hi, does it happen only as you moving and accelerating ?

Customer :

When I let it warm up it makes the noise for a short time, then it starts back when I am moving

ricardo hohl :

ok, so it does it in park also.

Customer :

a little but real loud when i drive

ricardo hohl :

ok, is it raining or snowing around your area?

Customer :

the noise is worse or lasts longer when it rains or damp outside

ricardo hohl :

this is cause by moisture getting to the belt tensioner or water causing the pulley bearings to squeal under load, can you check the undercarriage and see if the bottom of the engine has a plate or a plastic cover preventing water and snow to splash on the belt area, if is missing then this is the problem

Customer :

i have a plastic cover under the motor, but why does the noise stop at 55-60 mph and start back when i stop and start again

ricardo hohl :

if is not missing then you are going to need to replace the belt tensioner pulley the bearing on the pulley is dry and causing noise this can cause the belt to jump off

Customer :

i replaced the top pulley, is this the belt tension pulley?

ricardo hohl :

no that is the idle pulley.

ricardo hohl :

this pulley will also be recommended to replace

Customer :

OK, i will replace them

ricardo hohl :

that should do the job.

Customer :

ok thanks

ricardo hohl :

you are welcome.

ricardo hohl :

thank you.

Ricardo Hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase certified master tech and instructor