Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Nissan/Datsun Sentra GXE need a drive belt diagram or photo

Customer Question

need a drive belt diagram or photo for my 1996 nissan sentra gxe with 1.6 liter dual cam engine.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

I can help you with that.

Jay :

Give me a sec

Jay :

There you go. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer :

i have 3 belts not two

Jay :

This is a 96?

Jay :

1.6 right

Customer :

yes

Jay :

Sentra

Jay :

How do you have 3 belts?

Jay :

You have only 2

Jay :

Power steering belt,

Jay :

Then the AC and Alternator is a shared belt

Customer :

1996 sentra gxe 1.6 liter engine. with Air. 3 grooves on crankshaft pulley

Jay :

You have a thin belt for the power steering and a thick belt for the Alternator and AC

Jay :

Your car does not have 3 belts

Customer :

aalternator, A/C and powersteering each have there own belts

Jay :

What?

Jay :

No they don't

Jay :

Hold on

Jay :

The Alternator and Ac share the same belt. I just double checked in the Service manual

Jay :

Even the parts catalog on the web site I use says it's two belts.

Jay :

http://www.courtesyparts.com/sentra-200sx-parts-b14u-1995-1999/genuine-nissan-parts/engine-mechanical/117-fancompressor-power-steering-belt/-c-3006_3007_3008_3014.html

Jay :

Whether it's a 1.6 or 2.0 it has 2 belts

Jay :

Even the earlier Sentra's 91 and so on which is the same 1.6 Engine uses 2 belts.

Customer :

i have had them off a few times i just recently changed alternator. a friend helping failed to tighten the idler pulley it came off at high speed on interstate before i could get pulled over pulley and other two belts were never more to be seen alternator belt is closest to engine that's how i know there are three belts the other two had to come off to get alternator belt off

Customer :

Jay :

I know these cars like the back of my hand. You should have only 2 belts

Jay :

Unless the pulley configuration was altered on your car.

Jay :

Your car only has 2 belts. If you call down to your local auto part store they will also have only 2 belts listed for your car.

Customer :

since you cannot helpme i need a refund how do i get it

Jay :

I will put you in for a refund.

Customer :

in fact last time i replaced belts my store had all three of them

Jay :

I am using the factory service manual, and I remember changing these belts tons of times. There is only a parts listing for 2 belts.

Jay :

So since my answer did not help you, I will put you in for a refund and close this question.

Jay :

Do not reply to this so I can close this question

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer :

this maybe the exception possibly dealer added the A/C at dealership. i bought car new in April 1996

Jay :

I have installed AC kits on these cars. They don't change the balancer to add the AC compressor. They just change the belt and the belt adjuster.

Jay :

Do not reply to this question so I can close this. Thanks Jay!