Brad
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
5135651

1998 Nissan altima: anti theft..the car wont start..randomly

I have a 1998 Nissan altima with what I believe is an anti theft problem. When I open the door the alarm goes off and the car won't start. This randomly started about 6 months ago, and the car has been sitting ever since. I just replaced the battery(it died in the mean time) as I plan to sell the car. It started perfectly first time, and I decided to remove the fuse for the anti theft system to hopefully disable. Shut the car off and started again with no problems. I decided to leave it off for about 30 minutes with the doors locked and when I tried starting it again it would not turn over. I put the fuse back in and the alarm went off, so I believe I have a problem with the anti theft/immobiliser. Any suggestions? I pulled the anti theft relay out and it started clicking, so I put it back in.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

Exactly which fuse did you pull to disable the alarm system?

You might also try pulling fuse #26 (10Amp). If I'm reading the diagram correctly, pulling this fuse will keep the anti-theft system from locking out the starter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I pulled the anti theft fuse, from the panel beside the battery. My panel is not labeled with numbers so I don't know which is the #26 fuse!
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
This diagram should help. This would be the interior fuse box.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tried that one-no luck!
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
I'm wondering if you have something else going on causing it to not start then. Does it crank over at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, not all. If it did then I would assume I have a starter problem, but I know my starter and alternator are good. Put a multimeter on it and the battery is good, brand new. It may well be something other than the anti theft though.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Any other ideas Brad
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Brad, I pulled the 40amp power windows fuse and the car started. Can you explain this to me?
Expert:  Brad replied 6 years ago.
I dunno... that fuse is also for the door locks.

The control unit (Called the SMART ENTRANCE CONTROL UNIT) controls the anti-theft and remote control features of the car.

I'm wondering if there is a short in the unit itself. You can try unplugging the module and see what happens.

Anything beyond that is just too much to diagnose through this medium.