Brad
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

1998 Nissan altima: anti theft..the car wont start..randomly

I have a 1998 Nissan altima with what I believe is an anti theft problem. When I open the door the alarm goes off and the car won't start. This randomly started about 6 months ago, and the car has been sitting ever since. I just replaced the battery(it died in the mean time) as I plan to sell the car. It started perfectly first time, and I decided to remove the fuse for the anti theft system to hopefully disable. Shut the car off and started again with no problems. I decided to leave it off for about 30 minutes with the doors locked and when I tried starting it again it would not turn over. I put the fuse back in and the alarm went off, so I believe I have a problem with the anti theft/immobiliser. Any suggestions? I pulled the anti theft relay out and it started clicking, so I put it back in.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

Exactly which fuse did you pull to disable the alarm system?

You might also try pulling fuse #26 (10Amp). If I'm reading the diagram correctly, pulling this fuse will keep the anti-theft system from locking out the starter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I pulled the anti theft fuse, from the panel beside the battery. My panel is not labeled with numbers so I don't know which is the #26 fuse!
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
This diagram should help. This would be the interior fuse box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried that one-no luck!
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
I'm wondering if you have something else going on causing it to not start then. Does it crank over at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, not all. If it did then I would assume I have a starter problem, but I know my starter and alternator are good. Put a multimeter on it and the battery is good, brand new. It may well be something other than the anti theft though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any other ideas Brad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Brad, I pulled the 40amp power windows fuse and the car started. Can you explain this to me?
Expert:  Brad replied 3 years ago.
I dunno... that fuse is also for the door locks.

The control unit (Called the SMART ENTRANCE CONTROL UNIT) controls the anti-theft and remote control features of the car.

I'm wondering if there is a short in the unit itself. You can try unplugging the module and see what happens.

Anything beyond that is just too much to diagnose through this medium.
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician