AMEDEE
AMEDEE, NISSAN MECHANIC
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL PERFORMANCE. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

oil pressure gauge..acceleration..oil changed and the light went

Customer Question

What causes the oil pressure gauge to not respond? I have a problem with the gauge reading towards the L and it rarely climbs after acceleration. I had the oil changed and the light went off momentarily however when it came back on the light when from flashing to a solid red color. In any case I need incite onto why both the light and gauge are malfunctioning.
Submitted: 3 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how it works. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Are you saying that the oil pressure gauges doe snot move at all when the engine is running?

Have you checked the oil pressure?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have not yet applied a guage to the oil pressure just strictly going off what the vehicle sending unit reads. Also the gauge does not move while the engine is running, it it does it is only moving a very small bit. I had this problem before and then when I changed the oil the light did go off but then after a week or so the light and has come back on and the gauge slowly declined over the week and went from working how it should be to not moving at all. Also where is the sending unit located?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
I can get you a picture of the sending unit.

Does the guage rest on low or high?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
low
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. let me get some info for you. Give me a few minutes...
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

The oil pressure sending unit is located right by the oil filter.

Here is a picture.

graphic

Edited by AMEDEE on 1/18/2011 at 12:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That still does not explain why the sudden change in pressure and if the red indicator light is on, is that referring to oil pressure or coolant temperature?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 years ago.
If the light is red, chances are it is going to be an oil light. But just remember, there might be a low oil level light too besides the low oil pressure light.

This switch could be bad or this wire or connection down at this sending unit could be at fault causing your problem. Just take a look at it... it might just be hanging loose.