Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Turn off the security system on 2004 xterra it will not start

Customer Question

How do you turn off the security system on 2004 xterra it will not start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Is the security light on solid when you turn the key to the ON position?

Jay :

Let me know, thanks Jay!

Customer:

the light goes off

Jay :

Ok that is good, that means it's not the key

Jay :

Does the alarm go off? or does it just crank and doesn't start?

Jay :

Do you have remote start on this truck or something?

Customer:

It just does not crank and doesn't start

Jay :

Does all the lights come on the dash when the key is turned ON? Did you try to see if the truck will Start in Neutral?

Customer:

say all the lights come on the dash when the key is on

Jay :

Did you try to see if the truck will start in neutral

Jay :

?

Jay :

Stick or automatic?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

automatic

Jay :

So the engine doesn't turn over, it does nothing. Correct?

Customer:

yes

Jay :

Is this 4x4?

Customer:

yes it is 4x4

Jay :

There is a possibility the starter may be the problem.

Jay :

If the alarm was the problem, it would be going off.

Jay :

Unless you know you have some kind of after market alarm in the truck. That also can interrupt the starter.

Customer:

this is the second time it has had the problem not the starter

Jay :

How do you know it's not the starter?

Jay :

Did you check to see if the starter is getting a signal from the ignition switch?

Customer:

not

Customer:

100% sure its not the starter but last time it was towed in and it started working

Jay :

Well here is two ways to verify if it's the starter.

Jay :

First is have someone hold the key in the crank position and tap the starter with a hammer.

Jay :

If the starter engages, then you know it's a starter issue.

Jay :

The other is to unplug the signal wire at the starter and probe it with a test light. Then turn the key to the crank position and if the test light lights up, then you also know it's a starter issue. If it doesn't, then you will need to look back in the harness to see why it's not getting power.

Jay :

Can you read a wiring diagram?

Jay :

Either way, since the starter is not engaging, you need to see if it's getting power. That will tell you which way you need to look to resolve your problem.

Customer:

that will take some time how do I get back with you? yes i can

Jay :

This is a 3.3

Jay :

engine right

Jay :

?

Customer:

yes

Jay :

ok, just wanted to be sure.

Jay :

Click HERE to download the wiring diagram.

Jay :

Let me know if you have any more questions on this. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

ok

Jay :

I will be online till around 10 pm EST.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!