Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2003 Nissan Xterra cranks but wont start has no spark

Customer Question

2003 Nissan Xterra cranks but won't start has no spark
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Remove the distributor cap and crank the engine and let me know if the rotor turns.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer :

we will try that

Jay :

K

Jay :

Get back to me and let me know what you find.

Customer :

it spins

Jay :

Ok, That is a good thing!

Jay :

Then most likely your problem is a distributor if you have no spark.

Jay :

If it didn't spin, then that would mean you have a broken Timing belt

Customer :

we are pulling a cam shaft positioning sensor code

Jay :

That is the distributor

Jay :

The cam sensor is part of the Distributor

Jay :

so the whole distributor will need to be replaced to resolve your issue.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok so replaced the distributor and it wanted to start for a second and now the same thing and keeps pulling the same code it is a new distributor just purchased from autozone

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Did you check for spark after you installed it? What is the code you are getting?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CODE IS P0340

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
That is the Cam sensor that is part of the distributor. I understand you replaced it and still have the code, but you may have a defective Distributor. I don't recommend after market electrical parts. They never seem to work properly.

I understand it's the weekend, and you need to get it resolved. So I would return the distributor and get another one. Then see what happens. If you continue to get this code, then there is diagnostics needed to be performed. But 9 times out of 10, it's the distributor that causes this code.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there is a small connector on the side of the pcm do u know what those are to
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
A small connector? Are you talking about the blue and gray ones?

Let me know, thanks Jay!