Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Replace a head gasket on a 2009 Nissan Altima 4 cylinder

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

this may help you

thanks

2.5L Engine

1. Drain cooling system and engine oil.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  3. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Upper radiator hose and heater hose Right side fuse/relay box and move aside Engine undercover Resonator and air cleaner case Engine top cover All electrical and vacuum lines at the head Fuse hose quick connector at fuel tube side Engine harness and power steering hose bracket Timing chain Drive belt tensioner Camshafts Spark plugs Exhaust manifold
  4. Support the engine from above and below with a suitable jack and hoist.
  5. Remove or disconnect the following:

Power steering pump and reservoir and wire aside Auxiliary drive belts A/C compressor and wire aside Upper sway bar links Front and rear engine mount through bolts Lower ball joints 2 steering gear housing mounting bolts Front suspension member bolts and front suspension member
  6. Loosen the cylinder head bolts in the sequence shown and remove the cylinder head.

FIG : Removing the front suspension member-Altima CLOimage

FIG : Cylinder head bolt removal sequence-2.5L engine-Altima and Sentra image

FIG : Cylinder head bolt tightening sequence-2.5L engine-Altima and Sentra image

To install:

1. Clean the gasket surfaces.
  2. Using new head gaskets, install the cylinder heads.
    NOTE If possible, replacement of the head bolts is suggested.
  3. If replacement of the head bolts is not possible, perform the following bolt measurement:
    1. Measure the diameter of the head bolt 0.43 in. (11mm) from the bottom of the bolt.
    2. Measure the diameter of the head bolt 2.17 in. (55mm) from the bottom of the bolt.
    3. Whenever the size difference between the 2 measurements exceeds 0.0091 in. (0.23mm) the head bolts must be replaced.

4. Apply clean engine oil to the bolt threads and seating surfaces and tighten the cylinder head bolts in sequence as follows:
    1. Step 1: 72 ft. lbs. (98 Nm).
    2. Step 2: Loosen all the bolts completely.
    3. Step 2: 29 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
    4. Step 4: Plus 75-80 degrees clockwise.
    5. Step 5: Plus 75-80 degrees clockwise.

5. Install the front suspension member and tighten the bolts to the specifications shown in the illustration.
  6. Install or connect the following:

2 steering gear housing mounting bolts Lower ball joints Front and rear engine mount through bolts Upper sway bar links A/C compressor Auxiliary drive belts Power steering pump and reservoir Exhaust manifold Spark plugs Camshafts Drive belt tensioner Timing chain Engine harness and power steering hose bracket Fuse hose quick connector at fuel tube side All electrical and vacuum lines at the head Engine top cover Resonator and air cleaner case Engine undercover Right side fuse/relay box and move aside Upper radiator hose and heater hose Negative battery cable
  7. Fill the cooling system and engine oil
  8. Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Drain cooling system and engine oil.
  3. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Strut tower cross brace Timing chain Camshafts Exhaust manifold
  5. Support the engine from above and below with a suitable jack and hoist.

To install:

1. Clean the gasket surfaces.
    1. Measure the diameter of the head bolt 0.47 in. (12mm) from the bottom of the bolt.

1. Step 1: 72 ft. lbs. (98 Nm).
    3. Step 2: 29 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).

5. Install or connect the following:

Exhaust manifold Camshafts Timing chain Strut tower cross brace Negative battery cable
  6. Fill the cooling system and engine oil
  7. Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.

2.5L Engine

Nissan Car Altima & Sentra

Timing Chain Cover, Chain, Sprockets, & Seal 1

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

FIG : Exploded view of the timing chain assembly-2.5L engine image

Removal & Installation

• Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  • Drain the engine oil.
  • Drain the cooling system.
  • Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable. Support the engine and transaxle with suitable tools.
  • On Altima, remove or disconnect the following:

Engine under cover Upper and lower oil pans Alternator Engine cover Variable timing control solenoid conector Engine ground Coolant reservoir tank Right side fuse and relay box and move aside Right engine mount and bracket
  • On Sentra, remove or disconnect the following:

Air cleaner and duct Spark plugs Valve cover Coolant reservoir tank Auxiliary drive belt tensioner Alternator Strut tower cross brace A/C compressor and wire aside Power steering pump and reservoir and wire aside Upper and lower oil pans
  • On all models, remove or disconnect the following:

Intake valve timing control cover in reverse of the tightening sequence Timing chain guide between the camshaft sprockets and through the front cover Rotate the crankshaft clockwise and set the No. 1 piston to TDC of the compression stroke Crankshaft pulley using a suitable puller Front timing chain cover bolts in reverse order of the tightening sequence

•  

FIG : Timing chain cover bolt removal sequence shown-2.5L engine

image

Front timing chain case Insert a suitable stopper pin in the timing chain tensioner Chain tensioner

• While holding the camshaft with an open end wrench on the camshaft flat, remove the camshaft sprocket bolts and remove the camshaft sprockets.
  • Remove the timing chain slack guide, tension guide, timing chain and oil pump drive spacer.
  • Lift up on the timing chain tensioner lever for the balancer and release the ratchet.
  • Push the tensioner sleeve in and hold.
  • Insert a stopper pin to secure the tensioner sleeve
  • Remove the balancer tensioner.
  • Remove the timing chain for the balancer unit.
  • Remove the balancer unit using the sequence shown
  •  

FIG : Balancer unit mounting bolts removal sequence shown-2.5L engine

image

FIG : Balancer unit mounting bolts tightening sequence shown-2.5L engine image

FIG : Balancer timing chain alignment marks-2.5L engine image

FIG : Timing chain alignment marks-2.5L engine

image

FIG : Timing chain cover bolt removal sequence shown-2.5L engine image

FIG : Intake valve timing control cover tightening sequence shown-2.5L engine image

To install:

1. If replacement of the balancer bolts is not possible, perform the following bolt measurement:
      1. Measure the diameter of the head bolt 0.39 in. (10mm) from the bottom of the bolt.
      2. Measure the diameter of the head bolt 2.75 in. (70mm) from the bottom of the bolt.
      3. Whenever the size difference between the 2 measurements exceeds 0.0059 in. (0.15mm) the head bolts must be replaced.

2. Apply clean engine oil to the bolt threads and seating surfaces and tighten the balancer bolts in sequence as follows:
      1. Step 1: 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
      2. Step 2: Plus 90 degrees clockwise
      3. Step 3: Loosen all the bolts completely.
      4. Step 2: 29 ft. lbs. (33 Nm).
      5. Step 4: 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
      6. Step 5: Plus 90 degrees clockwise

3. Install the crankshaft sprocket and balancer timing chain and align the marks as shown.
    4. Install the balancer timing chain tensioner and remove the stopper pin.
    5. Install the timing chain and and align the timing marks as shown.
    6. Install the timing chain tensioner and remove the stopper pin.
    7. Using adrift, install a new oil seal in the front cover.
    8. Install new O-rings into the cylinder head and block.
    9. Apply a bead of sealant around the inside of the front cover sealing surface.
    10. Install the front cover and tighten the bolts in the sequence shown.
    11. Install the chain guide between camshaft sprockets.
    12. Install the intake valve timing control cover in the sequence shown and tighten the bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
    13. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm), plus an additional 60°.
    14. The remainder of the installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
    Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
    Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    How long would this take and can you estimate the price?
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    How long would this repair take and what would be an estimate for the job?

prices are different and different shops,sense one may charge more per hour than others..but the time is around standard 11.8 hours+/-

thanks