Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AAA Approved Shop Owner. 38 Years Experience Import - Domestic

97 xe pickup 2.4 o2 sensor heater circuit malf bank 1 sensor2 .. which sensor is it sw

97 xe pickup 2.4 o2 sensor heater circuit malf bank 1 sensor2 .. which sensor is it

swirl control valve control solenid valve where is it located
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jim Barlogio replied 3 years ago.

Jim Barlogio :

Welcome to Just Answer my name is Jim, Looks like you have 2 questions? Need to know where bank 1 sensor 2 is located? Not sure what swirl control valve question, could you be more specific. I will check back . Jim

Customer :

The 97 xe pickup has 2 02 sensors, I do not know which one the code refers to.

Customer :

The swirl valve code tells me about a solenoid valve, do not know where it is on the 2.4 engine.

Jim Barlogio :

OK the oxygen sensor is located behind the cat> I will get that location for you.

Jim Barlogio :

Full Size Image

Jim Barlogio :

The one you are looking for is pictured on right

Customer :

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX what is called a downstream 02

Customer :

once r&r, will that take care of the other codes

Jim Barlogio :

yes it is... The heater in the sensor is what normally fails.

Jim Barlogio :

Will not take care of Swirl Control.. that is not a sensor but a vacuum valve.. loacted in the intake manifold

Jim Barlogio :

Full Size Image

Jim Barlogio :

To check this you will need a vacuum hand held gauge. The diaphram in the pod may be blown. the way we test it is show with the gauge applying vacuum to the valve. If it bleeds off it is bad. You could depress the lever on the valve and hold your figure over the nipple. If should not bleed off.

Customer :

1 last question could the vacuum hose be bad or clogged . understand about the hand held gauge. thanks ken

Jim Barlogio :

Yes it could be due to a lack of vacuum due to a broken hose . let me check one thing and be back

Jim Barlogio :

Here is the test procdure

Jim Barlogio :
The swirl control valve control solenoid should be grounded by the computer at idle and low engine RPM, allowing vacuum to the swirl control valve to close the set of butterflies in the intake manifold to restrict airflow in the manifold to increase air velocity. The solenoid should turn Off (lose ground) above 3600, taking vacuum away from the swirl control valve to open the butterflies. The swirl control valve control vacuum check switch tells the computer if there is vacuum to the swirl control valve. There is a 5 volt reference to the swirl control valve vacuum check switch on the Red/Yellow wire. The Black wire is a ground. The swirl control valve vacuum check switch should be open (read near 5 volts) with vacuum at idle. When the swirl control valve control solenoid is turned Off and vacuum is taken away from the swirl control valve, the swirl control valve vacuum check switch should close, pulling the Red/Yellow wire to ground, resulting in a voltage reading near 0 volts.
Jim Barlogio :
1. Check the swirl control valve vacuum, check switch voltage on the Red/Yellow wire - look for near 5 volts at idle with vacuum on the check switch.

2. Check for any cracked vacuum lines in the system.
Jim Barlogio :

Jim

Customer :

thanks JIm.. you have a wonderful new year and than you very much.. Ken

Jim Barlogio :

No problem.. good luck and the same to you!

Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: AAA Approved Shop Owner. 38 Years Experience Import - Domestic