Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Nissan Altima: I have no idea what VDC means

Okay - Stupid question. I have a new Nissan Altima with VDC. I have no idea what VDC means. It is snowing like crazy here in Denver and am getting ready to leave work. Does this VDC have anything to do with how the vehicle operates in bad weather? I've never used it.

Thanks.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

VDC is Vehicle Dynamic Control. When this is on, it won't let the wheels spin. It slows them down by the ABS system and pulsates the wheel. So example is if your stuck in the snow. If the VDC is on, you won't be able to sit there and spin your tires. The VDC system will sense wheel slippage and will activate and transfer power from right to left on the front wheels. It so you can control the car instead of allowing the wheels to spin and loose control.

Customer:

Hmmmm - okay, so if I'm not stuck in the snow, just driving icy roads, would you suggest using this option?

Jay :

Yes. Cause if you start to slide, this system will help you to control the car and it will work both wheels to gain control

Customer:

Okee doke, then. I'm off for my first adventure in bad weather with my new car. Thanks a lot.

Jay :

What I would recommend you do so you

Jay :

are use to how it activates

Jay :

So you don't get scared when it first works

Jay :

Is go to a parking lot, and slam the gas down and try to spin the tires

Jay :

The engine will not rev, and the car will do what ever it takes to accelerate and stay in control

Jay :

Just a suggestion

Jay :

I normally suggest the same thing to someone who is not familiar with ABS also.

Customer:

Okay - I park in a garage downtown, so I'll try it before getting on the road.

Jay :

You got it.

Jay :

Be safe, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!