Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I removed a cylinder head on a 2001 nissan sentra 1.8 i was

I removed a cylinder head on a 2001 nissan sentra 1.8 i was told that i was supposed to blow air in the oil hole in head to advance timing but we didnt do that. what steps can i take to reassemble. can we do that before installing the t chain?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

this is how to reinstall the timing chain

thanks

Nissan Car Altima & Sentra 1999-06

Cylinder Head 1

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

1.6L & 1.8L Engines

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
  4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Engine drive belts Power steering pulley Oil pump and bracket Air duct to the intake manifold collector Right front wheel Engine side and under covers Front exhaust tube Cylinder head front mounting bracket Valve cover by loosening the bolts in numerical order Distributor, plug wires and spark plugs Spark plugs Intake manifold support and set the No. 1 cylinder at the Top Dead Center (TDC) position Idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and timing chains Camshafts
  5. Loosen the cylinder head bolts in 2-3 steps in the reverse order of the tightening sequence to prevent warpage or cracking of the cylinder head assembly.

Cylinder head (carefully), from the block, pulling the head up evenly from both ends. If the head seems stuck, do not pry it off. Tap lightly around the lower perimeter of the head with a rubber mallet to help break the seal. The cylinder head and the intake and exhaust manifolds are removed together. Cylinder head gasket(s)

To install:

1. Thoroughly clean both the cylinder block and head mating surfaces. Avoid scratching either surface.
  2. Coat the threads and the seating surface of the head bolts with clean engine oil. Install the cylinder head assembly (always replace the head gasket). Install head bolts (with washers) in their proper locations.
  3. For 1.6L engines, tighten the bolts in sequence, as follows:
    1. Step 1: Bolts 1-10 to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
    2. Step 2: Bolts 1-10 to 43 ft. lbs. (59 Nm).
    3. Step 3: Loosen bolts 1-10 completely.
    4. Step 4: Bolts 1-10 to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
    5. Step 5: Bolts 1-10 plus 50-55 degrees.
    6. Step 5: Bolts 11-15 to 74 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

For 1.8L engines, tighten the bolts in sequence, as follows:
      6. Step 5: Bolts 11-14 to 74 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

7. FIG : Cylinder head torque sequence-1.8L engine

image

8. FIG : Tighten the valve cover bolts in sequence-1.6L and 1.8L engines

image

7. Install or connect the following:

Camshafts Idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and timing chains Intake manifold support Distributor Spark plugs and wires Distributor cap Rocker arm cover and torque the bolts to 34 inch lbs. (4 Nm) Cylinder head front mounting bracket Front exhaust tube Engine side and under covers Right front wheel Air duct to the intake manifold collector Oil pump and bracket Power steering pulley Drive belts Negative battery cable
    8. Fill the cooling system.
    9. Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.
  4. 1.8L Engine
    2. Drain the cooling system.
    4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Engine drive belts Power steering pulley Oil pump and bracket Air duct to the intake manifold collector Right front wheel Engine side and under covers Front exhaust tube Cylinder head front mounting bracket Rocker cover by loosening the bolts in numerical order Distributor, plug wires and spark plugs Spark plugs Intake manifold support and set the No. 1 cylinder at the Top Dead Center (TDC) position Idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and timing chains Camshafts

To install:

3. For 1.8L engines, tighten the bolts in sequence, as follows:

4. Install or connect the following:

5. Fill the cooling system.
    6. Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.

image

8. FIG : Tighten the rocker cover bolts in sequence-1.8L engines image

5. Timing Belt Sprockets

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

1.8L Engine

2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
    3. Drain the cooling system.
    4. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable Upper radiator hose Engine drive belts Power steering pulley and the pump with bracket Air duct from the intake manifold collector Right front wheel and engine side covers Engine undercovers Front exhaust pipe Cylinder head front mounting bracket Cylinder head cover from the engine Rocker cover Distributor cap Spark plugs Intake manifold support and set the No. 1 piston at the Top Dead Center (TDC) compression stroke Distributor Cylinder head front cover Water pump pulley Thermostat housing Lower timing chain tensioner Upper timing chain tensioner and slack side timing chain guide Idler sprocket bolt Camshaft sprocket bolts and the sprockets from the camshafts. Be sure to mark the sprockets for proper reinstallation. Camshaft mounting caps by loosening the bolts in 2 or 3 steps Camshafts from the engine Idler sprocket bolt Cylinder head with the manifolds Idler sprocket shaft from the rear side Upper timing chain and support the engine assembly Center crossmember Oil pan and strainer assembly Crankshaft pulley Engine front mount and bracket Bolts that secure the front timing cover and the cover from the engine. Once the timing chain cover is removed, drive out the old oil seal. Idler sprocket and the lower timing chain Oil pump drive spacer and the crankshaft sprocket Timing chain guide

To install:

1. Drive a new oil seal into the front cover. Lubricate the oil seal lip with clean engine oil.
    2. Confirm that No. 1 piston is set at Top Dead Center (TDC) on compression stroke.
    3. Install or connect the following:

Crankshaft sprocket with the marks of the sprocket facing the front of the engine Oil pump drive spacer and the chain guide Lower timing chain. Set the chain by aligning its mating mark with the one on the crankshaft sprocket. Be sure the sprocket's mating mark faces the front of the engine.

4. FIG : Be sure to align the camshaft sprockets with the timing chain-1.8L engine

image

5. NOTE The number of links between the alignment marks are the same for the left and the right side.

Crankshaft sprocket and the lower timing chain. Set the timing chain by aligning its mating mark with the one on the crankshaft sprocket. Be sure sprocket's mating mark faces engine front. Front cover assembly, using liquid gasket Engine front mounting bracket and the engine mount Oil strainer, oil pan assembly and the crankshaft pulley Center crossmember

1. Set the idler sprocket by aligning the mating mark on the larger sprocket with the silver mating mark on the lower timing chain.

Upper timing chain and set it by aligning the mating mark on the smaller sprocket with the silver mating marks on the upper timing chain. Be sure sprocket marks face engine front. Idler sprocket shaft to the rear side Cylinder head assembly Idler sprocket bolt. Be sure to lubricate the bolt with clean engine oil. Exhaust and intake camshafts. The camshafts and markedIE
      2. Position the intake camshaft knock pin at the 9 o'clock position and the exhaust camshaft knock pin at the 12 o'clock position.
      3. Install or connect the following:

Camshaft bearing caps and distributor bracket. Apply liquid sealant to the distributor bracket.
      4. Torque the mounting bolts in sequence as follows:
        1. Bolts 11-15, then bolts 1-10: 18 inch lbs. (2.0 Nm).
        2. Bolts 1-15: 52 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
        3. Bolts 1-14: 104 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
        4. Bolt 15: 73 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

5. Install or connect the following:

Camshaft sprockets with timing chain. Set the camshaft sprockets by aligning the mating marks of the timing chain with the marks on the camshaft sprockets. Camshaft sprocket bolts. Torque the bolts to 86 ft. lbs. (117 Nm). Be sure to lubricate the bolts with clean engine oil. Upper timing chain tensioner. Before installation of the tensioner, install a suitable pin to hold the tensioner in the relaxed position. After installing the chain tensioner, remove the pin. Lower timing chain tensioner. Be sure the notch of the gasket is positioned down. Thermostat housing Water pump pulley Cylinder head front cover Distributor Intake manifold support Spark plugs and leads Distributor cap Rocker cover Cylinder head cover Front exhaust pipe Engine under covers Engine side covers and the right front wheel Air duct to the intake manifold collector Power steering pulley and oil pump Drive belts Upper radiator hose Negative battery cable
      6. Fill the cooling system.
      7. Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.
      8. FIG : Positioning of camshaft knock pins during assembly-1.8L engine

9. image

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didnt see anything about the variable timing for the intake cam ? after blowing the air in the oil port to advance cam would put the t chain on then set the timing on the marks specified in your directions. thanks

yes,,set it as illustrated above..it will be right

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.