Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

car shakes starting at about 40 mph then gets..goes away..alignment

car shakes starting at about 40 mph then gets worse. goes away when i let up on gas even when going fast. had alignment checked and thats ok.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

It only shakes when accelerating?

Jay :

Will it shake no matter what at arounf 40 mph?

Customer :

only when the gas is being pushed whether maintaining speed or accelerating. let off the gas and it goes away

Jay :

That sounds like a out of round drive shaft.

Jay :

Front drive shafts are common. So I would first check the front drive shaft. Check the joint where it connects to the transfer case make sure that there is no play.

Jay :

The I would check the rear drive shaft if the front checks out and make sure I don't find a spot where a weight has fallen off, and joints are good.

Jay :

Oh wait a min.

Jay :

Does this sound like a rubble strip type of noise? You know the rubble strip on the sides of the highway? Is it that type of vibration?

Customer :

Yes its very similar to that

Jay :

Oh..ok

Jay :

This may not be good news then

Jay :

But will be your answer.

Jay :

Check the condition of the transmission fluid. See if it's pink and milky. The transmission dipstick is on the passengers side of the engine and is secured by one 10 mm bolt. Check fluid level with truck running and in park.

Jay :

Also when the truck is cooled down, pop the radiator cap off and see if your low on coolant.

Jay :

If the transmission has not been regularly serviced, the factory J matic trans fluid eats away the trans cooler in the radiator and allows coolant to go into the transmission and transmission fluid into the coolant system.

Jay :

Nissan has discontinued the Matic J fluid and replaced it with Matic S, so it doesn't allow this to happen.

Jay :

But once it has, the radiator will need to be replaced and the transmission

Jay :

how many miles do you have on your truck?

Customer :

I had it serviced a couple months ago. hope thats not it. about 105,000

Jay :

Who serviced the transmission and was this one of it's first services?

Jay :

Do you know what fluid was used?

Customer :

it was a garage but not nissan. yes it was its second service. i dont know what fluid.

Jay :

The transmission needs to be serviced every 30k miles.

Jay :

If the wrong fluid was used, then that also could have caused transmission failure.

Jay :

I would check with the person who did the work for you and make sure they used Nissan Matic S fluid only.

Jay :

Other wise, it sounds like you may have a transmission problem and radiator problem. I am sorry to say.

Customer :

ok. that sucks. thanks. maybe they will have to fix it if they messed up. god i hope. Anything else? happy thanksgiving

Jay :

Happy Thanksgiving to you also

Jay :

If it's something they did, they are responsible.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer