Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Just Answer Car Expert ASE Certified Service Manager

2003 Nissan Murano: shutting..service engine light..while to restart

I have a 2003 Nissan Murano and it's recently been just shutting off on me while driving. After it did it the second time the service engine light has remained on. I tried driving it one more time today and cut off twice and after the second time it took it quite a while to restart when turning the key. Help!!
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
I am pretty sure this is caused by the cam or crank sensor.
They are both pretty similar sensors and are both very common failures.
2 things you should do, first is have the codes scanned. Autozone does it free. If you can get me the codes I might be able to give you a 100% answer.

Next, remove the wires at the crank sensor and check for oil contamination. If there is oil in the crank sensor wire connector, replace the sensor, but still get the code scanned.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK - I was planning to take the vehicle to a Nissan dealership tomorrow and have them scan the codes and diagnose as well. If it is indeed a cam or crank sensor what is typical repair cost for this? Thanks for your response.
The cam sensor (there are 2, usually only one will need replaced) will run about 150
A crank sensor is the same about 150 bucks, this does not include a diagnostics.
You might be able to skip the dealer if you want to do it yourself.
I can help just let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help. I will have a new level of confidence walking into the dealership now prepared with a little knowledge about the issue. I really appreciate Tim! Def will come back to you should any other issues arise...but I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX don't. :-) Take care!
Thanks for the business, if you need to get back to me you can later.
Thanks again.