Shimell
Shimell, Nissan and ASE Master technician
Experience:  18 years with Nissan. Nissan and ASE master technician with advanced ASE certification.
9291410

hi, I have a 2002 Nissan pathfinder 4wd. Last week, my ABS

Customer Question

hi, I have a 2002 Nissan pathfinder 4wd. Last week, my ABS light AND 4wd light came on. Took it to dealer, they said...needs new abs module. They put in new abs module, said everything was fine. Driving the car home..Less than half a mile from dealership, the 4wd light came on. Dealer is going to look at it again tomorrow. Any suggestions? I dont have much confidence in these guys.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shimell replied 4 years ago.

did your abs light come back on?

it is likely that you have two different issues and replacing the abs control module fixed the problem with the abs and not the problem with the 4wd.

sometimes when you have two issues like this you have to fix the part you know is broken before you can address the other issue, this is because sometimes when you have a control unit failure it could possibly cause other problems. if a control unit, "ABS" module is bad and you have aXXXXXlight on also, it is absolutely the correct way to fix the vehicle by replacing the failed ABS control unit first.

if you have any further questions on this please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am curious tho.....the ABS light and 4wd light both came on at the SAME TIME! is it pure coincidence, or did one cause the other to go out?

After they replaced the abs module, all the lights were gone. Then on my way home from the dealership, ONLY the 4wd light came on.

What kind of issues would trigger a 4wd light to come on? I paid $1700 to replace the abs module.. shouldn't when the initial 4wd light came on, have given them some codes, or something to show it was more than just the abs module?

Expert:  Shimell replied 4 years ago.

when you have a control unit failure, this can cause all sorts of problems and error codes in other systems that you can not trust because all these units share information with each other. so when you have a unit go down, and you kow it is failing, it is best to replace it and then go after the other problems or else you will be chasing your tail after a problem that doesn't exist.

it is quite possible that whatever made the ABS module go bad is the same issue that made the 4wd light to come on. or vice versa. it could be even just an adjustment that needs to be made in theXXXXXim looking this stuff up now, give me a few moments.

Expert:  Shimell replied 4 years ago.

in the first picture is the procedure to get the 4wd unit into self diagnosis, then you count the flashes.

once you have counted the flashes post them here and i will look further into it.

note, it is likely that it will be later this evening before i respond again. im on my way out the door and will be back in a couple hours.

thanks!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for late reply. Your not going to believe this one. Today...Now they tell me, the ABS module is bad(the new one they put in!!). So I have to get another abs module, and repay for the install. These guys seem criminal to me.

The car will be coming home this afternoon, I will do the 4wd test you sent me yesterday, and get back to you.

Expert:  Shimell replied 4 years ago.

if you just had them put in a new Nissan ABS module within 12 months or 12,000 miles, Nissan will pay for the part and the labor to install it.

if you feel they are not doing what they are supposed to do, you can call Nissan consumer affairs at 1-800-nissan1

also, did the ABS light come back on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm assuming the part was new, since it was $1300. I will certainly ask them about the labor.

no, the ABS light did NOT come on. only the 4wd light.

They are suggesting to me, the mechanical part of abs module is working, but the electrical part isn't...hence causing the 4wd part. But as I said earlier, I dont have faith in these guys.

Expert:  Shimell replied 4 years ago.

the mechanical part and the electrical part of the abs module are the same part. and if they replaced it new it should be under Nissan's 12 month 12,000 mile warranty.

does your receipt show a used part?

also, check the 4wd like I showed you and let me know what you find.