Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

ENGINE GETS HOT AND SHUTS DOWN, COOL FOR A FEW MINUTES THEN

Customer Question

ENGINE GETS HOT AND SHUTS DOWN, COOL FOR A FEW MINUTES THEN RESTARTS, TESTED AND REPLACED CRANK SENSOR, PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS, HAD USED ECM INSTALLED AND FLASHED, PROBLEM WORST NOW BUT ALSO JUST NOTICED THE ECM INSTALLED IS A CA. EMISSIONS INSTEAD OF FEDERAL, NOW GETTING SWIRL SWITCH CODES ON START UP. FUEL PRESSURE GOOD, ANY COMMON OVER LOOKED PROBLEMS
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

do you have any codes stored? other than the swirl valve code?

Customer :

no other codes than 2 codes for swirl switch but this is only because i have the wrong ecm installed, the problem with engine shutting down is still presant witch leads me to believe we still have problem other than ecm

Jay :

you still have the original Ecm correct?

Jay :

How does the car run cold? Do you have a Scanner or a code reader?

Customer :

car was originally towed in with transmission problem , multiple misfires and bad oxygen sensor. customer wanted used transmission and all coils replaced along with the new oxygen sensor, customer picked up car, a few days later on the highway engine starte lossing power and stalled out. car restarted after sitting but only traveled a few miles before dstalling out again , we towed car in, started diagnostics and came up with ecm , yes we still have origial ecm

Customer :

we never had any DTC'S in memory with the getting hot and shutting condition , car runs perfect cold and yes we do have snap on and mac scanners

Jay :

Plug in the original Ecm and start the car. Monitor the Air and Fuel mixture readings and let me know what they are. Check these readings as the car warms up and let me know what they are.

Customer :

won't i need to have the original ecm flashed for the security system ?

Jay :

it should still be programed

Jay :

But you can use the ecm you have in the car

Customer :

the original ecm will not start car , will run test with new ecm

Jay :

k

Jay :

Also try this and let me know what happens when you try this. Get the car all warmed up until it stalls. Then unplug the MAF sensor and see if the car starts and idles.

Jay :

Let me know, thank Jay!

Customer :

with car running MAF @.42 / ign. advance @ 8.0 to 9.0 / IAT @ 79 deg. / st. fuel trim 1 & 2 @ 5.5 to 7.0 / long term fuel trim @ 0 fuel system showing closed then engine shut down , went through 2 cooling fan cycles , kicked on @203 then sut down @ 198. engine shut down ignition advance went up to 63.5 deg. and all fuel systems went to open. all values stayed even except for the normal intake air temp rise

Jay :

So the car now stalled

Customer :

yes

Jay :

Now unplug the MAF senosr and see if the car starts and idles?

Customer :

car did not restart

Jay :

ok

Jay :

Plug that back in. Did you change the spark plugs also with the coils?

Customer :

no, plugs all lock good

Jay :

What brand plugs are they and are they platinum?

Customer :

will have to pull cover and check

Jay :

Do you know if you have spark after it stalls?

Customer :

has auto lite double platinum [app3924]

Jay :

Well, I can tell you this, these motors don't like any other brand plugs other than the NGKs. Did you check for spark?

Customer :

tring to find out from original tech if it was lossing spark/ my mentor scanner is not giving me crank signal

Jay :

k

Customer :

engine shut down, with spark tester between coil and plu i'm getting intermediate spark, tries to start and diesles

Jay :

Did this car have a code P1320 before you did all the work on it? Also let me know if you got the coils after market or from the dealer?

Customer :

YES HAD 1320 PRIMARY IGNITION & P0133 / P0153 / P0720

Customer :

yes coils are after market form foriegn auto

Jay :

That can be part of the problem. But there is harness issues as well that can be causing this problem.

Customer :

you think the after market coils could be the issue , have had good luck so far with them, and what harness has a problem - engine or dash

Jay :

There is a bulletin on this. HERE is a copy of it.

Jay :

I have seen when it comes to Nissans, that after market electrical parts never seem to work right

Jay :

I would go through the harness and do wiggle checks and ohm and voltage drove the wires.

Customer :

after we completed the work we have had to mil light on, even when the car was dying out

Jay :

Cause you have the Swirl valve code. That is why the MIL light is on right?

Customer :

yes now we have the light on for the swirl valve because we have a california emissions ecm in the car, i have to start with finding another ecm and have this one flashed again or do you think i should just install the original ecm and go from there

Jay :

I would go back to the original Ecm, unless you found something for sure wrong with it. Then check the harness.

Customer :

we removed all the after market coils and installed the originals , engine still shut down , we tested for injector pulse and still have pulse but no spark

Customer :

it shuts down at about the same time on each occurance, right now engine shuts down during third cooling fan cycle

Jay :

I wonder if the Ecm is bad? That is odd how on the 3rd cycle of the fans it shuts down.

Jay :

I am sorry I needed to step out for the day and will be out this evening. I will be around tomorrow if you would like to continue, if you would like I can opt out and another expert can assist you. Let me know, thanks Jay!