Nissan Specialist
Nissan Specialist, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan SCOPE Electrical Specialist, Nissan SCOPE Engine Specialist, Nissan SCOPE Senior Specialist

Replaced all ignition coils and the engine light still comes

Replaced all ignition coils and the engine light still comes on P1320. Someone suggested replaceing the crank sensor on the front of the motor. after doing this the pathfinder is missing bad under acceleration. This is what it did before replacing all of the ignition coils
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nissan Specialist replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Nissan Specialist :

So, just to verify what you're saying, You had a P1320 and replaced all six ignition coils only to have the P1320 come back. Did you clear the check engine light after the repair?

Customer :

1. dealer and took vehicle in on trade and sent to local service shop for oil change. while enroute the vehicle developed a surging/missing problem. Upon arrival the shop pulled a misfire on cylinder #1 and they subsequently replaced it and cleared the light.

Nissan Specialist :

How many miles does the vehicle have?

Customer :

Then the light came back on with p1320

Nissan Specialist :

They replaced cylinder 1 ignition coil?

Customer :

took to nissan dealer and they said to replace all coils - we did that and the light still came back on

Customer :

yes the first shop did replace #1

Nissan Specialist :

Was the light cleared after the repair?

Nissan Specialist :

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question. Just covering everything.

Customer :

for awhile the light would come on and the vehicle would drive fine - even though the light comes on. the surging/missing seems to be intermittent

Nissan Specialist :

Did you double check your connections at the coils?

Customer :

yes cleared everytime we have tried something. So far all coils have been replaceed. The oil change shop did #1 and I did #2-6

Nissan Specialist :

What's the vehicle's mileage?

Customer :

have not but can. I personally never had a problem with the surging/missing until I replaced the crank sensor but others had said it was doing it prior

Customer :

127K

Nissan Specialist :

OK. P1320 is due to bad ignition coils on your vehicle. A bad crank sensor will give you a different code. You may have a bad connection on one or more of the coils. I have never seen a P1320 on a Pathfinder that wasn't something with the ignition coils. Check your connections and the spark plugs. I recommend Nissan plugs.

Customer :

With this last round of surging it is throwing crank sensor, cam sensor and ignition coil

Customer :

I will double check the coil connections

Nissan Specialist :

Do you still have the old crank sensor?

Experience: Nissan SCOPE Electrical Specialist, Nissan SCOPE Engine Specialist, Nissan SCOPE Senior Specialist