Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2002 PATHFINDER SE: CANISTER..EVAP..VENT..THE INSPECTION REPORT

2002 PATHFINDER SE CHECK ENGINE CODE P1456- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? A SHOP TOLD ME I NEED TO REPLACE THE CHARCOLE CANISTER AND EVAP VENT SOLENOID. THE CODE ON THE INSPECTION REPORT IS P1456.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

Hi there!

carguy1 :

Did they do a smoke test on the truck?

Customer:

no, I do not think so. They just hook it to the computer.

carguy1 :

This code is a catch all code for a problem with the evap system

carguy1 :

Ok, It could need the vent control valve and the canister, however it would be hard to tell without a smoke machine

carguy1 :

this blows smoke into the evap system and will leak where the small leak is

Customer:

So if a licensed repair shop does the repair should he do the test

carguy1 :

I believe they would have had to test it somehow to come to that conclusion.

carguy1 :

yes, he would normally do this type of test to come to the conclusion.

carguy1 :

I have also seen this leak in this area so I am not surprised this is what they think it needs

carguy1 :

here is a lost of what it can be. This is why I believe they tested it to come to this conclusion

carguy1 :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I co ncern I have is that the light come and goes and I had to wait to the last inspection day and it did not go out so i failed the inspection. should i try something else before spending the big bucks

carguy1 :

You could try replacing the O ring on the vent control valve

carguy1 :

take it off and clean the dirt from around the canister and put a new O ring on.

carguy1 :

this is where it normally leaks

carguy1 :

Full Size Image

carguy1 :

it is located under the truck behind the left rear wheel

Customer:

Is there an easy way to get directions on which o ring you are takling about?

carguy1 :

When you remove the vent control valve from the canister, it has an O ring on it. This is the one I am talking about.

carguy1 :

2 ten mm bolts hold it on

Customer:

The box with all the hoses going in and out is that on one of the nozzles?

carguy1 :

It is bolted to the box. It is the only part with an electrical connector.

Customer:

OK, I will give it a try. thank you

Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.