Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.

2000 nissan altima: the rear brake lights are staying..bulbs..fuse box

Customer Question

Hy, I have a 2000 nissan altima and the rear brake lights are staying on with the car on or off and I have already replaced both rear bulbs wich are dual filament and installed new brake switch with that little rubber gromet? Im guessing there may be a short at fuse box, can you help please?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have not receive a answer. i went to check my email nore on the website.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 years ago.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Just Answer.

There are two switches that look identical. The switch that is easily seen from under the dash is not the brake lamp switch but rather the ASCD (cruise control) switch. To get to the brake lamp switch you would have to lower the steering column.

The good news is that the brake lamp switch rarely fails. Normally it is the grommet that falls out causing the lights to stay on. The grommet can be installed without dropping the steering column but it is a tough reach and requires a small hand and some patience to install.

Use a flash light and look next to the ASCD(cruise) switch and ABOVE the steering column to find the brake lamp switch. If I remember correctly the connector is a blue color.

If you need further instruction or details please feel free to ask.