Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My trouble engine code reads P1111- intake valve timing circuit

Customer Question

My trouble engine code reads P1111- "intake valve timing circuit" where is this located?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! What is the year and make of your nissan?

carguy1 :

model, sorry!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry i was trying to edit the question. Its a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5L SE. I recently replaced the tensioners for the timing chains. When i finished that code appeared and i cannot erase it. A parts guy at Nissan told me it was the "valve assembly solenoid valve timing control." He did not sound too certain. I was wondering where i could also get a print out on the repair process.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I am with you now. Do you have a scan tool or just a code reader?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe just a code reader. It plugs in and i punch in the make and model and it tells me what codes come up.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I hate to say this, but it is likely throwing the code because the timing is off on bank #1. This is not uncommon when the tensioners go bad.
The solenoid is up on top of the rear timing cover/and the valve cover.
Here is the spec for testing the component itself, and the location of it.
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks! That is what i thought it was. The Guy at the dealership said it was located inside of the timing chain cover. Was he talking about something else? What exactly is the purpose of this part?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
This part supplies oil pressure to advance the timing when the car needs it to become advanced.
There is a cam sensor also,but that is on the other end of the head.
Normally, the cam sensor fails and causes the solenoid code. Normally.
In this case, it is likely that the timing chain either stretched or jumped due to the tensioner failing. So now, the cam sensor is reading the timing is off on bank #1, which it very likely is, and it is blaming the IVVT solenoid thinking it is locked open and supplying full pressure.
With a scan tool, you can actually look at the timing on both banks and see what is happening to confirm the chain being off. Without it, you will have to pull the cover and reset the chain.
Possibly may have to replace it. I personally have had this problem on a quest van. Same engine and it was a royal PITA because the chain had stretched
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok makes sense! Your right~ what a pain! Is there a possibility that it is the IVT solenoid and not the timing? What would you reccomend i do first? I am not sure how to use a scan tool. I am very new at all of this.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
If you have a volt meter, test the solenoid with the first test I gave you, just check the resistance and check for any wires that may have been pinched.
Then if they all look good, chance are the timing is the problem.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much!! You saved me alot of time!!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome! And thank you for the accept!