Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Engineer, Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience. Turbo, Fuel, electrical, and Ignition Specialist

2002 Altima. Windshield washer will not work. Fuses OK.

Customer Question

2002 Altima. Windshield washer will not work. Fuses OK. How do I replace pump?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

The pump is located on the washer fluid reservoir down low. It pops into position in what is called a washer pump insulator. Basically a rubber gromment. I believe the late 02 models has a few screws too. If it doesn't have the screws it just pops out of the reservoir. If it has the screws you have to remove them and pop it out. It will have the hose to the nozzles on it, and a wiring connector that have to be disconnected too. They also make a universal pump you can install and leave the bad one in place if it proves to be to difficult to remove. The new pump just draws fluid through the old pump. If you do this you have to mount the new pump just below the reservoir. I will give you a link HERE where you can get the original replacement type and the universal type for a good price. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Edited by DR Hamman on 9/14/2010 at 10:37 PM EST