Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

I received a P1148 code on my 2005 Nissan Altima. No issues

I received a P1148 code on my 2005 Nissan Altima. No issues on how the car is running and this is the only code that showed up. Do i need to just change the mass airflow sensor?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

Hi there! This is not a mass air flow sensor code

carguy1 :

This is for the A/F (air/fuel ratio sensor)

Customer :

So what should I do

Customer :

Is it a o2 sensor code? Is that what I need to change

carguy1 :

Well, typically this code runs with a separate code for the a/f sensor. You can replace the front a/f sensor. This is the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. It likely has a bad heater

carguy1 :

Yes, they just changed the way it works so it is now alled an a/f sensor

carguy1 :

*called

carguy1 :

It confuses many folks

Customer :

so I need to search for a/f sensor to buy

carguy1 :

Yes, and this is the one right above the converter on the manifold

Customer :

Is it an easy change? Does anything need to be adjusted or calibrated after changing

carguy1 :

No need to calibrate, not to bad to change just in a tight spot. You should disconnect the battery while changing it so the fuel trim can be reset

Customer :

Ok thank you very much for your help

Customer :

Do you know how much one of those sensors cost

carguy1 :

You are very welcome! I would say ballpark would be about $150

carguy1 :

you can use aftermarket but get direct fit, not universal

Customer :

well that sounds better than the mass airflow sensor

Customer :

thanks again...have a great evening

carguy1 :

yeah :) it is!

carguy1 :

you to!

Customer :

Let me ask you one more thing please

Customer :

I figure it only came up with that code because the converter on it is not even two years old

Customer :

would that make sense

Customer :

meaning make sense that only the sensor code came up without a converter code along with it

carguy1 :

Well, normally you get a specific code with the 1148, not a converter code, but a code for the front A/F sensor

carguy1 :

However it is not always the case, so it is not unusual

carguy1 :

what this code means is that the front a/f sensor isn't getting hot enough to operate or it isn't getting there fast enough to make the ecm happy

Customer :

I actually went to like an advance auto store and they put one of their machines on it...should i take it somewhere else

carguy1 :

Nope, it will only show the same code and cost you money

Customer :

that would be a pre-cat sensor yes?

carguy1 :

you are fine with replacing the sensor and clearing the codes

carguy1 :

yes, the first one in line ahead of the coverter right on the manifold

Customer :

ok...pre-cat?

Customer :

ok

carguy1 :

well, top of the converter I think

Customer :

good deal...take care

Customer :

thanks again!

carguy1 :

you to and let me know if you need further assistance! I will be glad to help!

Customer :

sure thing

Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.