Greg, import technician
Experience:  import Technician . Shop Owner ,. 27 years experience,

Nissan Frontier: V6 begins to misfire when it..O2 sensor..DTC

My Nissan Frontier 2001, V6 begins to misfire when it gets warmed up. It has 135k miles and I have never changed the O2 sensor. It has a DTC P0300. It almost died out on me today and had a rotten egg smell.
Hi welcome to will answer your question the best I can,

Any other codes besides the P0300.

Was anything done before this happened filled up at a different gas station had any work done on the engine .

was the timing belt replaced at all .

when was the last tune up

For further assistance Just ask.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No other codes, I did fill up at a different gas station, but it only happens once the engine is warmed up. I use high octane fuel.
I changed the timing belt over 3000 miles ago and didn't have any issues after. All the plugs, wires, cap and rotor were replaced over 8000 miles ago. Thanks
Hi .

One more question before i give you your answer , does the MIL (check engine light flash when you accelerate)

P0300 is a multiple misfire which can damage the TWC (catalytic converter)
Thats the rotten egg smell ,possible blocked cat,or fuel pressure problem

What you got to check first . which cylinders are missing.
for this the consult II would be idle or a good dealer level diagnostic tool
to check which cylinders are misfiring if all are misfiring possible cat as said if just one or two could be a coil, spark plugs, fuel injectors, fuel pressure.

Check these then get back to me .

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The MIL does not flash at all when I accelerate. It actually just came on yesterday when the engine almost died coming home. I work about 5 miles away and I can usually get to the office in the morning without a problem. However, once the engine is warmed up like yesterday, it could not make it back. I don't have the tool to check which cylinder is misfiring... I guess you do not recommend to keep driving it if the catalytic could be damaged??? Let me know what other questions you have.

Hi Orlando

I highly recommend that you go to a shop or the dealer and get this checked with the correct diagnostic tools before you cause expensive damage ,

As you know the cat is an expensive item and if this part need replacing get an original part as the aftermarket are not worth the money .

Hopefully the cat is still ok .

What would help if you went to autozone to get another read out this would help us.

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a scanner that I bought and was able to get the DTC readout. However, I will take it to the shop tomorrow and not risk the ruining the CAT. Thanks

Put the code reader on and check what codes you have first,
Before you take the car in. .
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll check it again in the morning and let you know what codes it has. I am thinking it will be the same, P0300. Unless you think I should do something else, I'm not sure what else to do. I need to get the truck running. I got a ride to work today and took tomorrow off. I don't think I have a choice.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One last thing before I accept, I took it into the mechanic and they found it was the distributor. What do you think would be a fair price to replace it? Also, does this make sense if the problem was happening after warm up only? Thanks
Hi Orlando

Yes this is highly a possibility . when the distributor gets hot it can short out this is a known factor .
Price is hard to say, the last time i bought one was over $180 usd. rebuilt ,

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They are charging me $375 which I thought was kind of high, although I checked online and they can range from $180 to $300. I am going to ask them what kind they put in and check on it. That will determine whether I go back to them or not in the future. Thanks
Hi Orlando.

Thank you sir and good luck.

One more thing Orlando ,
Have you thought of getting a used unit from your local breakers yard.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I didn't think about a used one. I already picked up the truck and spent the money. If I would have had the time and an extra vehicle, I would have tried some of these things and did it myself with the right tools. I just needed to get my vehicle for work and stuff. Yesterday I was walking so the sense of urgency was high. I appreciate your help and will use your services in the future. The money I spent for the advice was extremely valuable. I have posted positive feedback and accepted the answer. Thanks for all your help.