Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  import Technician . Shop Owner ,. 27 years experience,

Nissan Frontier: V6 begins to misfire when it..O2 sensor..DTC

Customer Question

My Nissan Frontier 2001, V6 begins to misfire when it gets warmed up. It has 135k miles and I have never changed the O2 sensor. It has a DTC P0300. It almost died out on me today and had a rotten egg smell.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi welcome to JA.com.I will answer your question the best I can,

Any other codes besides the P0300.

Was anything done before this happened filled up at a different gas station had any work done on the engine .

was the timing belt replaced at all .

when was the last tune up

For further assistance Just ask.
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No other codes, I did fill up at a different gas station, but it only happens once the engine is warmed up. I use high octane fuel.
I changed the timing belt over 3000 miles ago and didn't have any issues after. All the plugs, wires, cap and rotor were replaced over 8000 miles ago. Thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

One more question before i give you your answer , does the MIL (check engine light flash when you accelerate)

P0300 is a multiple misfire which can damage the TWC (catalytic converter)
Thats the rotten egg smell ,possible blocked cat,or fuel pressure problem

What you got to check first . which cylinders are missing.
for this the consult II would be idle or a good dealer level diagnostic tool
to check which cylinders are misfiring if all are misfiring possible cat as said if just one or two could be a coil, spark plugs, fuel injectors, fuel pressure.

Check these then get back to me .

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Greg,
The MIL does not flash at all when I accelerate. It actually just came on yesterday when the engine almost died coming home. I work about 5 miles away and I can usually get to the office in the morning without a problem. However, once the engine is warmed up like yesterday, it could not make it back. I don't have the tool to check which cylinder is misfiring... I guess you do not recommend to keep driving it if the catalytic could be damaged??? Let me know what other questions you have.

Thanks,
Orlando
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Orlando

I highly recommend that you go to a shop or the dealer and get this checked with the correct diagnostic tools before you cause expensive damage ,

As you know the cat is an expensive item and if this part need replacing get an original part as the aftermarket are not worth the money .

Hopefully the cat is still ok .

What would help if you went to autozone to get another read out this would help us.

Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a scanner that I bought and was able to get the DTC readout. However, I will take it to the shop tomorrow and not risk the ruining the CAT. Thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Ok.

Put the code reader on and check what codes you have first,
Before you take the car in. .
Regards Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll check it again in the morning and let you know what codes it has. I am thinking it will be the same, P0300. Unless you think I should do something else, I'm not sure what else to do. I need to get the truck running. I got a ride to work today and took tomorrow off. I don't think I have a choice.
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last thing before I accept, I took it into the mechanic and they found it was the distributor. What do you think would be a fair price to replace it? Also, does this make sense if the problem was happening after warm up only? Thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Orlando

Yes this is highly a possibility . when the distributor gets hot it can short out this is a known factor .
Price is hard to say, the last time i bought one was over $180 usd. rebuilt ,

Kind regards Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience: import Technician . Shop Owner ,. 27 years experience,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are charging me $375 which I thought was kind of high, although I checked online and they can range from $180 to $300. I am going to ask them what kind they put in and check on it. That will determine whether I go back to them or not in the future. Thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Orlando.

Thank you sir and good luck.

One more thing Orlando ,
Have you thought of getting a used unit from your local breakers yard.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't think about a used one. I already picked up the truck and spent the money. If I would have had the time and an extra vehicle, I would have tried some of these things and did it myself with the right tools. I just needed to get my vehicle for work and stuff. Yesterday I was walking so the sense of urgency was high. I appreciate your help and will use your services in the future. The money I spent for the advice was extremely valuable. I have posted positive feedback and accepted the answer. Thanks for all your help.

Orlando