Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

2000 Nissan Frontier: Crew Cab..cylinder..the spark plugs; I..one plug

I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab 6 cylinder). I am changing the spark plugs; I have changed 5 of the 6 spark plugs. There is one plug buried on the back side of the engine (I am told it is number 6). Can you provide a step by step procedure for removal and replacement.

Thanks

Dennis
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

There is no tricks to number 6,

Jay :

the way I get is this

Jay :

First I remove the spark plug wire.

Jay :

Lay on the engine and use a 3 inch spark plug socket with a impact swivel with a 3 inch extension on that, and I get to the plug

Jay :

The big thing is to start that plug by hand. Do not run it in. Because it's in a difficult area, it can be striped very easy

Jay :

You may want to push some of the lines on the firewall back so you can get your hand in there better also.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

I guess I was hoping there would be some magic answer to make the task easy, probably not. I don't know whether to agree or disagree, first I assume you have replaced this number 6 spark plug. I do agree with you on laying on the engine. The other spark plug on the backside of the engine was relatively easy, but I actually removed my truck hood. This provided more accessibility to the plug when laying on the engine (I also placed an old rug over the engine). I think possibility this may make the number 6 plug easier (but not easy) to remove and replace. I don't own an impact swivel so I will need to buy one.

Jay :

You can use a regular swivel also. I just use a impact swivel cause it doesn't totally flop over

Jay :

Yeah I have done these plugs a ton of times. I normally start with number 6, cause I like to get the hard stuff done first.

Jay :

I wish there was a easy way to tell you how to get it. I have been working on Nissans for dealers for 20 years, no one I met has a trick yet. I just found what tools I have helps me get it the best, XXXXX XXXXX is all I can suggest for you. You don't need to take the hood off, it's just that the plug leans towards the fire wall. In some cases, when your ready to go back in with the plug, take a quick glace at cylinder number 4 and look at the angle so you know what angle you need going in.

Customer:

I will try tomorrow and let you know how successful I am.

Customer:

Thanks

Jay :

You go it. Thanks Jay!

Jay :

Checking in to see how you made out.

Customer:

Jay

Customer:

Have not got around to it. I am going to accept because prior to asking the question on Just answer, other people that had the same issue and were providing how they did it were consistent with your method.

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer