Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2001 Maxima security light stays on and car will not start.

Customer Question

2001 Maxima security light stays on and car will not start. How Do I turn off the security light?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

The security light is on solid?

JACUSTOMER-tu20gf5n- :

Yes

Jay :

That means there is a problem with the keys not being programmed. You can try getting out of lock out mode and see if that will get you going, but the keys will need to be reprogrammed. Here is how to get out of lock out mode.

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-tu20gf5n- :

The ac was not working, had it checked out - no leaks so I wanted to replace the control unit since it seemed stuck on HOT. Took out the heater/ac control unit to check it out and then drove with it yesterday. This morning car would not start and friend told me it's because of the security.

JACUSTOMER-tu20gf5n- :

Tried to get out of lock mode but no avail

JACUSTOMER-tu20gf5n- :

Ok, I just got it to start. Thanks. The lock out thing worked after all.

Jay :

Yes, if the security light is solid, that means some how the keys became deprogramming. If you can't get it out of lock out mode, try another key and see if that will start the car. If the other key does, then have either a mobile lock smith come out and reprogram all your keys, or drive your car to the dealer and have all the keys reprogramed

Jay :

Glad you got it running.

Jay :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!