Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

i have 1995 nissan maxima auto transmission it is hard to shift.

i have 1995 nissan maxima auto transmission it is hard to shift. it only shift at 4000 rpm. i have change the speed sensor, add fluid,
How many miles on this car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the car has 183650 and we just swap the motor
Ok was it the same year motor that was in the car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i am not sure

No problems with the transmission before the motor swap?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not at all
Try this for me to see what codes are stored.
SELF-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE
NOTE: Perform self-diagnosis with engine at normal operating temperature.

1. Ensure engine is at normal operating temperature. Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Set transmission mode switch to AUTO position, overdrive switch to ON position, and selector lever to "P" position. Turn ignition switch to ON position, but DO NOT start engine. POWER indicator light should come on for 2 seconds.

2. Turn ignition switch to OFF position and move selector lever to "D" position. Set overdrive switch to OFF position. Turn ignition switch to ON position, but DO NOT start engine. Move selector lever to "2" position. Set overdrive switch to ON position, move selector lever to "1" position, and set overdrive switch to OFF position.

3. Depress accelerator pedal to floor and release pedal. Record POWER indicator light flashes and we shall see what the diagnostics shows. Long and short flashes should be recorded accordingly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the on that is 7 times & 2 times or 2 times & 7 times
Ok let me look up the codes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
have send my answer yet?
This is an issue with shift solenoid B either the wiring here's the test.
SHIFT SOLENOID "B" TEST

1. Check resistance between solenoid assembly connector terminal No. 1 (Yellow wire) and ground. Resistance should be 20-30 ohms. If resistance is not as specified, replace solenoid.
2. With ignition switch in OFF position, disconnect solenoid harness connector in engine compartment. Check resistance between solenoid harness connector terminal No. 7 and ground. Resistance should be 20-30 ohms. If resistance is not as specified, repair circuit as necessary.
3. Disconnect ATCU connector. Check resistance between terminal No. 7 of sensor harness connector and ATCU terminal No. 7. Resistance should be approximately zero ohms. If resistance is not as specified, repair circuit as necessary.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how can i locate solenoid B and ATCU onthis car?
The automatic control unit is in the car and the shift solenoid is on the transmission.

ClickHere
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have not been able to locate the solenoid and test it. can you little more precise
Let me see what I can post.
My other post said it's on the transmission when it should of said in the transmission. It under the tranny pan the filter will need to be removed to get to it. Also check the wiring harness they sometime chafe through . Sorry for the confusion the spell check did that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you i was little off i took the pan off i saw 5 of them do i need to change all
Check the wiring harness first if the harness is good replace solenoid b which is the second on the pack .You can get the entire solenoid pack at a salvage yard for 50 dollars or so if you want to change them all.Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i replaced today it is shifting violantly like it used to but it still has to go pass 4000 rpm to shift
Ok did you change them all or just solenoid b. How was the harness ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes did change all
Really . The harness was ok ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i think the harness is ok
Ok then is the harness is ok the transmission could have failed internally . Have you had it pressure tested yet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no
Ok at this point I would have the transmission pressure testes to make sure it's not an internal issue . It's not then need to see might me ECM related or even a throttle position sensor issue . These would be the next steps. Also check the engine harness to make sure no connectors are swapped with the wrong sensors causing this issue. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.