Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

96 d21 4wd 2.4 xe. at 2000 rpm it skips like hitting a rev limited.

Customer Question

I have a 96 d21 4wd 2.4 xe. at 2000 rpm it skips like hitting a rev limiter.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt Carey replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Matt Carey :

Hi this is MATT. When you say "skips

Matt Carey :

Does it feel like an ignition miss?

Customer:

yea

Customer:

it will go through but die if cruising

Matt Carey :

Does it cutt off?

Customer:

no just kicks real bad like a chevy does at top rpm limiter

Matt Carey :

Have you ever changed sprak plugs or wires? Is the check engine light on? Any codes?

Customer:

yes changed both and no lights or codes i put the truck in the shop and they made me replace dist. and tps and still no luck

Matt Carey :

Can you duplicate the miss, sitting still, with a power brake test? In gear, left foot on brake and rev it with right foot, putting a load on the engine?

Customer:

yea it does it and sitn still and pulling boat out

Customer:

if your on the gas it will go rite through that range but if you power up slow it does it

Matt Carey :

Okay, one possibility is clogged EGR ports, if some are clogged it can allow too much to the unclogged cylinder/s. Try disabling EGR and see what happens.

Customer:

ill try that.

Matt Carey :

Just an idea, but let me know. Just unplug the vacuum line and plug it. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Customer:

k be a few

Matt Carey :

no problem

Customer:

tryed that and no fix

Matt Carey :

Okay, let me think and see what I can come up with. Does it smooth out above 2000rpm's?

Customer:

yea and before

Matt Carey :

Okay, so it's good at idle, then at around 2000 rpms it misses, then above it's good again. Clogged Egr really fit the description. Let me do some research and see what I can come up with. thanks

Matt Carey :

Is there anything else you can add that might help?

Customer:

i think my truck is cali emissions

Customer:

would the ecm have anything to do with it?

Matt Carey :

That would be the last resort. Try using carb. cleaner and spray around the intake looking for a vacuum leak? The most common problems for this are the distributor ( oil leaking onto the optical sensor), Clogged EGR ports, TPS, and intake manifold leaks. We are running out of ideas. But your problem may not be a common problem, that just makes it harder for us.

Matt Carey :

where did the dist. come from? new , used?

Customer:

a new dist. the shop put it on.

Matt Carey :

try checking for intake leak, if no luck let me know. If I can't think of anything else for you, I'll relist your question, in hopes that another can help you. MATT

Customer:

thanx you tried its driving me nuts

Matt Carey :

Can you find out if it was an aftermarket distributor? I seen people go thru a few before getting a good one. Hard to diagnose without a scope. MATT

Customer:

they said it was stock

Matt Carey :

Okay, just checking , because I heard of problems with aftermarket distributors.

Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Most common when the engine feels like it's hitting a rev limiter at 2k rpms, it's due to a MAF sensor. It's very common for MAF sensors to fall out of range and not set a check engine light. It just doesn't meter air properly to the fuel mixture which is what gives you the rev limiter type response. I would check your air and fuel mixture readings to verify.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i finally got around to replacing the maf sensor and truck sill skips
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean skips? What is the truck doing now? Same thing?

Let me know, thanks Jay!