Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder: check engine light is on..Idle..P0455..leak

Customer Question

I have 2005 Nissan Pathfinder, and check engine light is on. when I scan, it gives me code P0507 - Idle too high and P0455 - Large leak, I need help to fix this problem
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
GreetingsCustomerand welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! is it running on high idle?
has anything been done to the throttle body on the truck?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has high Idle and nothing has been done to throttle body
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, first lets address the 455 code. This is normally caused by a faulty vent control valve. It is located on the charcoal canister at the left rear of the truck. On the 05 it is tucked up under the left rear wheel well. Normally they get stuck open, this causes a large evap leak. This is fairly easy to get off the canister, but the canister is a pain to get to.
graphic
No as for the 507. You need to try and do an idle relearn on the throttle body. This is not the easiest thing to do without the scan tool,but there is a manual procedure. Make sure to follow all the steps and use a clock or watch with a second hand because it has to be timed perfectly.
Here is the procedure.

1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning".

a. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.

b. Turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait at least 2 seconds.

c. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.

d. Turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait at least 2 seconds.

e. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' wait at least 10 seconds.

2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .

b. Turn ignition switch 'ON'.

Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

4. Turn ignition switch 'OFF' and wait at least 10 seconds.

5. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch 'ON' and wait 3 seconds.

6. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.

b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

7. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.

8. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL goes off.

9. Start engine and let it idle.

10. Wait 20 seconds.

11. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

12. If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, the result will be incomplete. In this case, more test needs to be done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I performed the re-learn procedure you suggested, but Idle is still high 11000 RPM, now what should I do next

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Next I would check for a vacuum leak. Take some carb cleaner with the truck running, spray it along the intake manifold and any vacuum lines you see. If the idle speed increases then you have a leak. If not, you may need to have Nissan perform the idle relearn with the scan tool.