Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2003 nissan murano: passenger..AWD,VDC,ABS, and SLIP lights..smooth

replaced front right(passenger) hub assembly on 2003 nissan murano. now AWD is stuck on as well as AWD,VDC,ABS, and SLIP lights are all on. The replacement went very smooth with no problems except these. It is a Timken hub that was purchased new. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Did you remove the ABS sensor when you removed the hub?

Customer :

nope, it did not apear that it was necessary

Jay :

You need to remove the ABS sensor before you remove the hub. If you don't you snap the tip off the abs sensor so it can't read the pick up ring. Since you did not remove it, that is most likely what happened

Jay :

The ABS sensor actually goes into the hub assembly a little bit, so when you remove it, it will break that tip off. That is why you need to remove it first.

Customer :

so

Jay :

So?

Customer :

so the lights including the awd being stuck on is like a fail safe feature?

Customer :

sorry not the fastest typer

Jay :

Yes, with a bad ABS sensor, the VDC AWD and ABS light will come on. Since the VDC system is controlled by the ABS, the AWD system needs to see speed sensor signal at each wheel, and the ABS system works off of the sensors at each wheel

Jay :

No problem. Sorry I am such a fast typer..hehe

Customer :

then if i replace the sensor the lights should reset if i disconnect the baterry

Jay :

If you disconnect the battery for 10 mins, it should reset. If it doesn't, you may need to drive it for the computers to see the signal to come back.

Customer :

any tips or warnings that could save grief replacing the sensor

Jay :

The only problem you cold run into is the bolt breaking that holds the sensor. If that comes out, then there should be no problems replacing the sensor. If it breaks, then it would need to be drilled out and tapped so a new bolt can be installed

Customer :

no problem can handle that these newer cars r something else! thanks for the info u have been a huge help!

Jay :

You got it, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer