Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2006 nissan sentra: i try to accelerate it stalls..ecm..cam sensor

have 2006 nissan sentra 1.8l on start up engine cranks long and starts with idle up and down when i try to accelerate it stalls. code p0340 shows up in ecm replaced cam sensor and engine doesnt start at all put old one back in engine will start and sometimes goes back to above condition.. thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

The new sensor you installed, it's after market isn't it?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no they came from nissan in a kit it had three in there but only two went to this car
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
The sensors you installed are located where?

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one down by starter and one on back of valve cover
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
You said the kit came with 3 sensors? That is the wrong sensor kit for this car. The sensor down by the starter is the crank sensor. The sensor by the back of the cylinder head is the cam sensor. The other sensor you have is a intake timing sensor which is for the earlier model Sentra's that have the engine sensor recall. The kit is wrong for your car and you should only need the cam sensor if you have a P0340 code. Since you have the wrong kit, the sensor may be incorrect also. So I would go back to Nissan and get the correct sensor.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will do that and get back to you monday

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Ok, No problem. Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Just checking in to see how you made out.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got new sensor from dealer prt# XXXXX and car wont start put in original and starts
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
That is strange? This is the sensor on the back of the cylinder head correct? Did you have any timing chain work done?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no the car only has 56,000 miles

scoped sensors all showing good patterns checked grounds and power feeds i am lost why old sensor runs car but new one wont there is no real part number on the sensors them selves to compare...lost dont know what to do next

Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Try this and let me know what happens. Unplug the cam sensor and see if the car starts.

Let me know, thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cranks very long and then starts
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
With the sensor unplugged? It may be possible that the engine jumped time. The sensor you have is actually a bad sensor that is why the car will run with it plugged in. But when you put a good one it, it now and see cam position and will not start cause it is not lined up properly to the crank.

I would have this checked to verify, but this is what I believe your problem is.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. thanks Jay!
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer