Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Nissan altima: shift lock..I have to use a screwdriver and override it

My 05 nissan altima shift lock is not working. Right now I have to use a screwdriver and override it. Is there any why for me to fix this myself. How much should I expect repair cost to be if not.

Kara
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

HI there! Can you check and see if the brake lights work when you step on the brakes?

carguy1 :

Better yet, does your cruise control work?

Customer :

yes to both

Customer :

both are working

carguy1 :

Ok, Can you check a fuse for me? Fuse # XXXXX inside the car my be a factor. Check it out and let me know! If it is blown replace it.

Customer :

the key for the fuses does not have a #21. The fuses you wanted my to check are under the stearing colum right

carguy1 :

Yes, let me see if I can get you a diagram of the box. Mine are only numbers! One moment please

carguy1 :

Ok, here is a diagram of the fuse box. I highlighted # XXXXX hopefully we will find this blown and it will resolve the problem.

carguy1 :

Full Size Image

Customer :

yors are not matching to mine. that is a blank spot

carguy1 :

Ok, from what I can see the one next to it should be blank

carguy1 :

So you should show 2 blanks there?

Customer :

maybe you could tell me what the fuse is for like the fr power socket, or mirror and audio, RR power socket

carguy1 :

My diagram says it is for the key switch and lock solenoid

carguy1 :

It also supplies power to the shift lock control module

Customer :

if it the one when i turn the key upside down to match yours it says its the bat saver

carguy1 :

Well, it probably isn't blown but go ahead and check it. Also, like I said, if you have to empties then it should have a fuse in it

Customer :

no it not brown

carguy1 :

Ok, Do you hear a clicking when you step on the brake pedal?

carguy1 :

Have you spilled any drink on the shifter area by mistake?

Customer :

no noise no I have not spilled that i can recall,

carguy1 :

ok, there are several things that can be happening here. It could be the control module itself, the shifter cable may be out of adjustment or possibly one of the switches on the shifter itself.

carguy1 :

It is hard to put a price tag on this without diagnosing it first.

carguy1 :

I can give you a ball park of about $100- $300 depending on what is found

carguy1 :

This type of testing is going to require some time with a voltmeter and test light, as well as some minor disassembly of the car

Customer :

Is there anything I can do so I dont have to use the screwdriver to shift

carguy1 :

At this time there is not. It will have to be diagnosed,until then you will have to use the over ride for getting it out of park

Customer :

thanks

carguy1 :

I suspect a problem with the shift lock module, but you have to test the wiring going in and out to determine if that is the cause

carguy1 :

I am sorry,but it is really what it is.

Customer :

ok thanks

carguy1 :

you are very welcome! Was hoping for a fuse to be honest with you :)

Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience: Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.