Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2005 Nissan Murano: the transmission fluid changed at Jiffy Lube..CVT

Customer Question

2005 Nissan Murano. Recently had the transmission fluid changed at Jiffy Lube. I have the CVT fluid. 3 days later, "AWD" light came on and stayed on, "service engine soon" light came on too. Car would not accelerate anywhere close to normal. Got it home, and took to the shop 15 mins later. When I got back in car, "service engine" light was still on but AWD light was off and car accelerated like normal. After 24 hours in the shop, they determined the ECM wasn't communicating properly with various parts of the car. Fluid from Jiffy Lube appeared to be CVT they said. Quoted $1,300 parts and labor. Is replacing the ECM a catch-all to maybe an easier (yet harder to determine) issue? Is the quote reasonable? Seems freakishly coincidental that upon changing fluid i had this problem. Thanks.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Did they use Nissan CVT fluid or after market CVT fluid?

Customer:

Not sure. They knew it was a different fluid needed, so the price of the service was higher. Didn't offer me a choice of fluids.

Jay :

This is very important to know this!

Customer:

I took the car to a Nissan dealer, and they said the fluid seemed like CVT. They weren't too concerned with that being the issue.

Customer:

I can call Jiffy Lube and ask i assume.

Jay :

There are manufactures putting out fluid called CVT which is really not. It is for makes like Ford, but if you would go to there web site and read into it, it states that it takes the place of Matic K and Matic J trans fluid for Nissans, which is not CVT

Jay :

In any case, when you had the Service Engine Soon light on, do you know what code you had?

Customer:

no. didn't get a code reported on the car anywhere. Is that something the shop would know?

Jay :

Here is something you can check.

Jay :

This thing I am going to have you check will not help you with the AWD light. You will need to have the AWD system scanned to see what is going on there.

Jay :

But open the drivers door, and towards the hinges on the body side of the car, you will see 3 black caps.

Jay :

Pop them off and make sure the 12 mm bolts are tight. Do not over tighten, just make sure they are tight. If loose, that could cause a U1000 code and put the car in limp mode where it would not accelerate, and may work fine after the key is cycled.

Customer:

unfortunately, i don't have the car here. it's sitting at the shop since last night waiting for them to diagnose the problem and now order the part. needed to get it in before leaving for vacation this weekend. is that something a nissan dealer would look for? Basically looking to see if i should get a second look or second quote.

Customer:

If the diagnosis seems reasonable and the price not outragious, I'll live with it. can't afford any issues on an 8hr drive this weekend.

Jay :

You have the car at the dealer?

Customer:

yes. but they gave me an unconfident diagnosis (they didn't even seem sure when they told me what the problem "could be"), kept forgetting to get back with me today... so i lost some faith in that service center specifically.

Jay :

Why don't you do this.

Customer:

sorry, thought i mentioned that earlier.

Jay :

Call them tomorrow and at least try to get the codes from them

Jay :

I will log in at lunch time which is around 11 am to see what codes you have and tell you my thoughts on what the problem may be and you can offer my advice to them. I will do my best to help you so you can enjoy your vacation

Customer:

ok, thanks for your time. I will do that. they don't plan to have the part until thursday anyway. Thanks again.

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Just Checking in to see how you made out.

Thanks Jay!