Rick
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  22 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer
32033408

2003 nissan xterra: shift lever..the shifter itself..drive back

my 2003 nissan xterra has a sticky shift lever. had the covers off and sounds like its
coming from the cable or posibly the shifter itself. can hardly shift from drive back into
park and first and second are a no go. what's going on?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX will answer your question the best I can please click ACCEPT if I have helped so I receive credit for my work

If you have the center console removed to access the shifter assembly then I would disconnect the shift cable from the shifter and see if the shifter can be moved freely with out being attached to the cable, if it moves freely then the problem is either the cable or an internal problem in the transmission I suspect it is in the cable that is the most likely component to cause a shifter to be sticky like that

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what would the cost be to replace the cable? ballpark, you know, $100 or $1000?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
At my shop which is a dealer I would estimate somewhere between $200 and $300 dollars thats only a guesstimate I don't know how much the cable would be and our labor rate is $121 dollars an hour
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have you seen this problem with cables in the past?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
yours would be the first , I have changed a lot of shifter assemblies over the years for a number of problems mostly for when the interlock fails and you can't get the shifter out of park
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

have you ever had this problem in the transmission itself?

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
no not on the transmission if the lever that the cable is attached to on the transmission were to be binding then the manual shift valve in the valve body of the transmission would be bent and that would be very expensive also very unlikely
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for time, its been helpful. i will have it looked at.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome if you need anymore help let me know
Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience: 22 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer