Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Nissan 2005 Altima 3.5 SE pulsating brakes at high speed

Customer Question

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jay :

For you to have a pulsation when braking at highway speeds, that is a indication that the rotors are out of round.

Jay :

If you feel the pulsation in the steering wheel, that is normally due to the front rotors being out of round. If you feel it in the brake petal, that is normally the rear rotors out of round.

Jay :

To resolve this, the rotors would need to be resurfaced, and the pads should be checked to make sure that they are not worn unevenly.

Customer:

Brakes work fine at lower speeds, at high speeds steering wheel pulsates (around 65mph+) what is solution, replace rotors, or grind em?

Customer:

safe to drive at lower speeds until i get this fixed?

Jay :

Measuring the thickness of the rotors, if thick enough, they just need to be cut

Jay :

sure

Customer:

and driving 10 miles to local dealership with that steering wheel joint issue should be safe?

Jay :

It depends

Jay :

I don't know how tough the car is to turn.

Jay :

That is a matter of your comfort of driving.

Customer:

slightly lumpy, but doesnt lock up, can still turn 1 handed, just a little more umph

Jay :

I have seen some that can be driven,

Jay :

I have seen some that I say how the hell did they drive this here

Jay :

If you can turn it with one hand, then I would say you could drive it

Customer:

lol, its a bit lumpy, nothing too concerning, but figure address problem sooner than later

Customer:

thanks again!

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer