Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Nissan Technician
Experience:  6 yrs professional experience/ and training
8541580

05 altima 2.5 ran out of gas and wouldnt start.

Customer Question

05 altima 2.5 ran out of gas and wouldn't start. Replaced fuel pump and plugs and won't start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt Carey replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Matt Carey :

HI this is MATT. So is it cranking, but won't start? Have you checked for spark, fuel pressure, and /or injector pulse? Any codes? let me know what you have checked, and/or have the ability to check. thanks, MATT

Customer:

I have checked mainly just the fuses. I don't have a handheld diagnostics nor any way of checking fuel pressure. The girlfriend has ran in out of gas a several times so i automaticly changed the fuel pump and plugs while i was at it.

Matt Carey :

Is it cranking? MATT

Customer:

yes it is

Customer:

yes

Matt Carey :

Okay, next step ,is to check for spark. There are four coils bolted to the top of the motor. Unbolt one and pull it out, then put a screw driver into the coil boot, and lay it next to something grounded ( a bolt on the engine). Then when someone cranks the motor, you should see a spark jump form screw driver to ground. Using a spark tester is easier, but I assume you do not have one, correct? MATT let me know if this makes sense.

Customer:

yes it does

Matt Carey :

Let me know, what you find. MATT

Customer:

I did not see spark, I checked all four, no spark. Had a friend come over with some experience with coil packs to make sure I was test right as well, due to not getting spark off all four coils.

Matt Carey :

When you turn the key on, does the check engine light come on?

Matt Carey :

Let me know, about the Engine light. Do you have a test light or volt/ohm meter?

Matt Carey :

Next step should be to check injector pulse. but you'll need a light or meter to check. You can put a long screw driver on the injector body and the other end to your ear, and listen for the click of the injector firing. This is hard to do while cranking a engine, because of the cranking noise. This is usually done @ idle, to find a bad/ or not firing injector. let me know what you have and I'll try to help you test it. MATT

Customer:

I had some people help me with checking injector they are fine, the injector fire it is getting gas. Gas just insn't being send to injectors. i believe it is a programing issue and have to take this to nissan, the other forums i have looked at makes me believe it is a crank sensor. there is also a recall for ccm reprogramming.