Rick, Nissan Master Technician
Experience:  27 Years working in Nissan Dealerships Currently working for Nissan Dealer

How do I remove the ECU from a 2001 Maxima I have removed

Customer Question

How do I remove the ECU from a 2001 Maxima? I have removed the outer panels on both sides of the center console. There is apparently another set of panels beneath these (Black). These are preventing access to ECU mounting. How are these panels removed?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Hi my name isXXXXX will answer your question the best I can please click ACCEPT if I have helped so I receive credit for my work

Changing the ECM from a Maxima is one of those frustrating and get your hands all scratched up jobs , the ECM will come out the right hand side but it is a wrestling match the thing that is holding it down the the floor of car is two 10mm bolts that are hard to get to that are located on the front side of the ECM the wire harness is probably in the way making it hard to see them on the back or firewall side is a flat tab that slides into a retainer on the firewall , the black panels your referring to I think are the heater ducts that go the the rear of the car ,- it would probably be easier to get to the bolts for the ECM by removing the radio and heater controls and there a small heater duct that can be taken out then you may be able to see the bolts , the wire harness for the ECM also has clips that plug into some brackets on the ECM and make it very difficult to maneuver the ecm out and back into place

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Rick the black panels I am referring to are on both sides of the center console. These are not heater ducts and are glued to the center console front cover. Thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

If the panels are glued to the center console then removing the center console should take them out of the way , I haven't had to do that to change an ECM but it would definitely give you more room to work

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I guess I was hoping for more insight as where these additional panels appear glued to the front of the console, it is clearly not the only thing holding them in place. I am certain there are screws or hidden tabs. Thanks.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Here is an exploded view of the instrument panel if you could pick out the panels then I might be able to help more graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Section F as shown in view has been removed. Question is if overhang shown at bottom of center panel in section J is what I am viewing. I have circled this item. If so, seems that removal of the entire center panel would be necessary to remove the ECU?. Hopefully this is not the case! Unfortunately I am not where I have access to the car at the moment. I will review later.

Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
no removal of the center console is not necessary to access the ECM because the ecm is situated on the floor just forward of the console and under the heater box assembly thats why its such a bear to get out , now removing the radio and heater controls will help get access to the two 10mm bolts I mentioned earlier , as for the panels they have only one screw holding them in then they should pull straight out of a couple of clips , I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back its been a long day today
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Rick- No problem. I recognized this when I took a look at the car yesterday afternoon. Big difference from looking at it at night. I think I am all set. Thanks for your time and insight.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
no problem let me know how you make out and if you need any more help