Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2006 Nissan Altima: ...it cranks good but wont kick in..few tries

Customer Question

My 2006 Nissan Altima has a problem starting...it cranks good but won't kick in. It takes a few tries before the engine kicks in.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jay :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running?

Customer:

no no lights go on

Customer:

car just won't start up right away, have to try at least twice

Jay :

Do you find any acceleration issues when driving?

Customer:

my mechanic doesn't have sohisticated equipment suggested I take car to Nissan

Jay :

How many miles are on the car?

Customer:

126,000

Jay :

Do you find that it's hard to start when it's warmed up, but starts fine cool?

Jay :

or is it hard to start all the time?

Customer:

it varies

Customer:

I spoke to a Nissan dealer service dept the man said it might be the cam sensor

Jay :

Give me a min

Customer:

ok

Jay :

How handy are you?

Customer:

why what do you need me to do, I'm a woman

Jay :

I would like to unplug the cam sensor and see if you have any oil in the sensor. I can give you a image of it's location if you think you can do this. It's right up top.

Customer:

not comfortable doing that

Jay :

Well then that will need to be checked by someone. Cam sensors are very common as well as Crank sensors.

Jay :

The way I have seen them fail is this

Customer:

ok I can have the mechanic do it, can't take chance of doing something wrong

Customer:

sometimes car starts right up other times it takes at least 2 tries

Jay :

Oil seeps through the sensor and drowns the electrical connector. If you unplug the cam sensor and find any oil in the sensor, then the sensor should be replaced

Jay :

If the sensor is being replaced, I would replace them both. Cam and Crank sensor. They are both the same part and when one fails, normally the other follows

Customer:

is it an expensive job?

Jay :

Na, the parts are about 40 bucks each, and to replace both sensors normally takes about a hour

Jay :

So maybe 180 bucks, if the sensors are the problem

Customer:

does a mechanic have to do that or could a layman do it

Customer:

what could it be if not those sensors?

Jay :

The Cam sensor a Layman can do, the crank sensor is a bit tricky, so I would have a mechanice replace that one.

Jay :

If it's not the sensors, it could be a Mass Air flow sensor that is falling out of range, or the throttle chamber may need to have a idle relearn performed

Customer:

thank you Jay I will take car back to my mechaic and have him do that. I wonder if there has been any recalls on this

Jay :

You can call your local Nissan dealer and give them your vin number and have them check for recalls for you. I don't think the cam and crank sensor recall applied for your year Altima, but you can always inquire and make sure your car is up to date any way.

Customer:

I will thanks

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer