Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Expert Witness

2006 NISSAN MAXIMA: 50K miles..I replace both front struts

I have a 2006 NISSAN MAXIMA with a bad front strut. The car is under 50K miles, and it's the second time that the same front strut has "BOTTOMED OUT".
QUESTION: Should I replace both front struts?
Yes, it is quite possible weakness in the other strut allowed it to over- travel and "bottom out" . Also the internal seals wear over time which makes the struts dampen at different rates and create unusual handling. Under 50k I normally don't advise it, but after 50 k I would recommend replacing as a set.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ted - given that when the car was new, struts were "tuned", then front strut on passenger side "bottomed out" at 15K, and was replaced, then once again at 30K the same passenger side strut bottomed-out again, then at 50K the same passenger side strut is once again bottomed out... isn't that indicative of something unusually wrong with BOTH original struts?

In other words, the original strut on the driver side is perhaps OVER-spec (a rock?)

It is certainly a possibility, but there is also a possibility it has something to do with where you drive regularly. Normally a shop should bounce test the struts both before and after the repair and compare the relative dampening as being equal. At that point they should recommend replacement of the other strut if they were noticeably different. Another possibility is that the spring rate is different on the left spring, this would normally be a result of poor heat treatment during manufacture.