Nathan, Nissan Technician
Experience:  17+ sole Nissan Experience, Master ASE and Master Nissan trained.

2002 Frontier: the EGR valve located..cyl

Where is the EGR valve located on a 2002 Frontier (4 cyl)? What is best way to clean it?
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Just Answer.

Is your vehicle a California model or federal 4 state model?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow -No idea - It was bought from a dealer in Louisiana.
Alright that means you have a 49 state federal vehicle.

May I ask why you are looking to replace or clean the egr valve? I have never seen one fail yet on this model!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got a P0402 code - "EGR flow excessive" As of yesterday, my truck will run fine for a minute or two, then very little power - struggles to go down street at around 3 or 4 MPH. It doesn't quit, but nop power.
Alright well you don't need to clean your egr valve because it is working. Otherwise you wouldn't get that code.

Here is what you need to do.
  • Unbolt and move the throttle body. (to gain access to egr ports) (There are 4 of them)
  • Then remove the 4 egr port plugs which have a 8mm headed allen socket in them.
  • NOTE!! make sure you use only the proper size allen head so that you don' damage the plugs. Also make sure you insert the allen socket completely so that you engage it properly (these plugs are relatively soft and can be damaged easily)
  • Once you have all the plugs removed use a flat tip screwdriver to break up the carbon covering the port.
  • Once all the ports are clean you can reinstall everything.
Note!! that code only sets when there is uneven flow of egr flow into the one or more cylinders. So make sure you check all 4 ports and make sure they are all the same size opening.

Here is what you can expect to find.
I hope this information has earned your accept and will save you the money of replacing all the components that most shops would sell you before realizing the actual cause of this code!! I have seen it to many times where shops replace the egr valve, err bpt, solenoid etc and then the poor customer finally takes it to the dealer to have the ports cleaned.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I appreciate all the info. I should also mention that I also gota P0102 - "MAF or VAF - A circuit low input" reading. I didnt mention it before because I was focussed on the EGR thing.
That code is only set by one of two things.
  • The airflow meter was unplugged while the ignition was on
  • The airflow meter is bad (quite common issue and most likely your issue)
When replacing the airflow meter you will find that they sell it as a complete upper half of the throttle body. You don't need to replace the whole thing. Just unscrew the sensor from the side and install it into your old throttle body. Very easy to do.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay - If you could please tell me the location of that airflow meter, I think we'll be done!
Sure here you go.